458 16inch barrel

Carterhunts1205

New member
Joined
Sep 13, 2026
Messages
13
Reaction score
3
Greetings , have the opportunity to purchase a 458 one and a half inch , with a 16 inch barrel , was used as a gun to hunt bushpigs with subsonic loads .

I’m considering buying it and having it rechambered as a 458 win mag / 458 lott .

Had a look at some quick load data , and looks like I’d only get 1950fps with a 500 gr bullet in the win mag and that gives around 4100 lbs energy. Can anyone give me some ideas on loads , specifically with 458 win mag , what powder to use , bullet weights to try get some more energy out of it , there’s no point in getting it if my energy is so little , got a 375 already to give me 4000lbs of energy.

The reason I’m looking for win mag loads is I was told there could be an issue with chambering it in Lott , something to do with the length.

Any info on a good 458 win mag load with a short barrel would be appreciated .
 
Hi Carter
What kind of action is it and of course, what is its length ?
I don't think such a custom rifle was made on a long action rifle that can accomodate the .458 Lott ammunition where the COAL is 3.6" in comparison to the 3.34" of the .458 Winchester magnum.
My only experience as a reloader is with the .458 Lott, but I don't think a 16" barrel is long enough to get what you want with a .458 Winchester magnum.
It might be better to rebarrel the action with a longer barrel.
 
You may be better off passing on this deal.
If I recall correctly the 458 1.5 was designed to be a suppressed military round. Close range sniping.
The barrel twist may not be ideal for full power 458 WM.
The original barrels where designed for the Winchester M70.

A suppressed 458 1.5 could be a very effective close range hunting round. You might would be better off with a 458 SOCOM.
 
The 458X1.5 was meant for subsonic loads. It was a modified and shortened 458 Win that could be used in short actions. During the war in Vietnam a number of them were built on M70 Winchester actions with suppressors.
images (21).jpeg

If it a short action, it's unlikely a full length 458 Win will fit and feed.

If it's a properly built 458X1.5, you may want to put a can on it and enjoy one of the finer things in life. The 458 500gr at just under 1100fps is a wonderful thing.
 
T
Hi Carter
What kind of action is it and of course, what is its length ?
I don't think such a custom rifle was made on a long action rifle that can accomodate the .458 Lott ammunition where the COAL is 3.6" in comparison to the 3.34" of the .458 Winchester magnum.
My only experience as a reloader is with the .458 Lott, but I don't think a 16" barrel is long enough to get what you want with a .458 Winchester magnum.
It might be better to rebarrel the action with a longer barrel.
The guy I might buy it from had it as a project build , truvelo barrel on a P14 action , but I think in reality it’ll be easier and more reliable to buy a 458 win mag or just buy a Lott .
 
Was
The 458X1.5 was meant for subsonic loads. It was a modified and shortened 458 Win that could be used in short actions. During the war in Vietnam a number of them were built on M70 Winchester actions with suppressors.
View attachment 794484
If it a short action, it's unlikely a full length 458 Win will fit and feed.

If it's a properly built 458X1.5, you may want to put a can on it and enjoy one of the finer things in life. The 458 500gr at just under 1100fps is a wonderful thing.
I know the rifle was used for close range bushpig hunting with subsonic loads , if I do buy it and keep it as is , I will most likely put a can on it and have it as a fun little supressed gun
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,182
Members
169,919
Latest member
BUILonna63
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top