.416 Ruger ammo recomendation

Deepfork

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, USA
416 Ruger.......Hornady 400gr Bonded soft points or 400gr solids? Buffalo are on the list for our next trip.

I have the rifle, Ruger Hawkeye African in .416 Ruger. The two Hornady loads loads are avalible, nothing else I can find.

Last edited:
No to the solids. Well, at least not for the first shot. Ask your PH what they are comfortable with. I have a friend who has killed numerous cape and water buff with the DGX Bonded and praises them.

Like RR 314 said. No solid for first shot at least. Consult PH about bringing solids at all, seems like quite a few just want a mag full of premium softs. Seems like there are some recent negative reviews on the bonded DGX and even the DGS. Thought Hornady had fixed that.. Having said that, there are many good reviews of the new bonded version as well. If you do go the Hornady route make sure you do get the new bonded version.

Personally I would use the Hornady for practice here and buy from Hendershot’s for my hunt:
Swift A Frame load if possible, if not then Barnes TSX. 400 grain load only.

If your PH wants you to bring solids as well I would go with the Nosler flat point solid load by Hendershot’s. I would go with it over the Barnes round nose banded solid load they offer because of the flat point.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.20.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.20.30 AM.png
    906 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.20.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.20.33 AM.png
    468.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.20.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.20.36 AM.png
    690.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
+1 on the Hendershots. However, it looks like the availability on any bullet for the 416 Ruger is currently unavailable. Midway does have some decent 400 gr, 416 bullets available. Save your Hornady brass and reload. If you don't reload, maybe a friend does and you can get a set of dies and roll your own.

1675859836323.png

Like RR 314 said. No solid for first shot at least. Consult PH about bringing solids at all, seems like quite a few just want a mag full of premium softs. Seems like there are some recent negative reviews on the bonded DGX and even the DGS. Thought Hornady had fixed that.. Having said that, there are many good reviews of the new bonded version as well. If you do go the Hornady route make sure you do get the new bonded version.

Personally I would use the Hornady for practice here and buy from Hendershot’s for my hunt:
Swift A Frame load if possible, if not then Barnes TSX. 400 grain load only.

If your PH wants you to bring solids as well I would go with the Nosler flat point solid load by Hendershot’s. I would go with it over the Barnes round nose banded solid load they offer because of the flat point.
Provided that that soft/solid combo have a similar POI

Load up or have someone like Hendershots load some 350 gr TSX and 350gr Barnes Banded Solids (older flat point design), they are devastating on buffalo at 2550 fps. You can send the components to them and they will load ammo for you (or so I've been told). I may be able to spare some of the 350 gr flat points if you are in need and want to go that direction.

As to solids, I've seen what the flat point solids do to a buff and they don't like it. If you aren't hunting in a herd situation, they inflict serious damage but you will probably have a pass thru. If you have an odd angle shot that requires deep penetration the solids are king. Even with softs, I'm always careful of any animals behind the target animal and it doesn't matter what continent North America, Europe or Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!