.416 Rem bullet for Cape Buffalo

Alan D P

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI Life, NRA Life, DSC, KCSCI, KSRA
I have booked a cape buffalo hunt in far north S. Africa. My plan is to use my .416 Rem. rifle. Question: Will using Swift A-Frame 350 gr. bullets be "plenty" sufficient, loaded to about 2,500 fps mv? I could go to another bullet and/or weight, if strongly advised to do so. Comments, experience, and recommendations will be greatly appreciated. THANKS! Alan

Shot ten bulls all with the 400 grain Swift backed up by the Barnes solid. Worked very well!

I have killed a lot of buffalo with both 416 Rigby and 416 Rem and prefer 400 grain bullets both Swift A Frame and Barnes Triple Shock.

The 350gr swift will do the job, but the 400gr swift is simply magic.

Perfect bullet, it'll do great. My buddy shot a cape buffalo last year with his 458 win mag using 350 grain Barnes TSX. It was a one shot kill.

I have killed a lot of buffalo with both 416 Rigby and 416 Rem and prefer 400 grain bullets both Swift A Frame and Barnes Triple Shock.
Thanks for the info. Alan

Perfect bullet, it'll do great. My buddy shot a cape buffalo last year with his 458 win mag using 350 grain Barnes TSX. It was a one shot kill.
Thanks for your reply. Alan

You are spot on for the A frame - excellent choice. The 350 grain has SD of .289 and the 400 grain has a SD of .339 - I would opt for the 400 grain for better penetration. Will a 350 grain work - absolutely, but if you have the option available I’d go for a 400 grain
Thanks for the advice. Alan

Another spin on the OP question. If u had a choice of 400gr A-frame or 400gr TBBC which would u choose?

Roy

I'll be using 400gr Barnes TSX this year, Makes my Outfitter HAPPY.

I’d opt for the 400gr. The 350gr would “probably” work well, but why not step up to the well proven 400gr?
I used 400gr Barnes TSX and Banded Solids from a .416 Ruger.
0EE9B901-C018-47A1-BCB2-5A38DCE831C3.jpeg

I would use Barnes 400g bullets.

TSX for expanding bullets (the first shot).
Banded Solids, if the first shot doesn't do the trick.

Work up loads that make the them to the same point of aim at 100m.

I like my PH's philosophy:

#1 - expanding
#2 - solid
#3 - expanding
#4, 5, 6, 7, 8... - solids

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross