404 Jeffery Range Time

8x68

AH fanatic
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
697
Reaction score
665
Location
Ontario, Canada
Media
12
Hunted
Canada, USA
Target results using .423cal 400gr Woodleigh RN Weldcore bullets. Had to use plastic coroplast target as it was raining/snowing and very windy.
Left square is three rounds (0.50"). Two almost through same hole.
Load 77.8gr IMR4350 Fed 215 primers, Hornady case. 3 shot avg velocity over a chronograph 15ft from muzzle (any closer and muzzle blast blows everything everywhere) was 2038fps with deviation of 13fps

Middle is OK (1.40"). Load 82.2gr IMR 4350. Fed 215 primers, Hornady case. 3 shot avg velocity 2208fps. Deviation 6fps.

Right is decent also (0.90"). Load 80gr H4350. Fed 215 primers, Hornady case. 3 shot avg velocity 2111fps. Deviation 24fps.

Rifle is a Win M70 conversion from 375H&H to 404. Barrel length is 25"

Had more loads to test but ran out of day. Will play some more when I get back from deer hunting.

IMG_0023.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
looken good, what distance were you shooting at?

-matt
 
Good to see someone who understands that the 404 can stretch out a little more than the usual 50 yd big game usage.
I ran 84gn H4350 under the same Woodleigh bullet for 2315fps in my 404 and got superb accuracy.
 
at 2300fps the 404 Jeffery is plenty capable of taking game over 100 yards. at 2038fps you might find things start to drop pretty fast though.

-matt
 
at 2300fps the 404 Jeffery is plenty capable of taking game over 100 yards. at 2038fps you might find things start to drop pretty fast though.

-matt
I have heavier loads to try just didn't get that far. The Woodleigh reloading manual says I can go up to a max of 79gr's of H4895 (2405fps), 81grs of Varget (2405fps), or 89grs H4350 for just shy of 2400fps. The IMR 4350 loads were my concoction as it is not listed in the Woodleigh manual. Will "play" some more in a few weeks hopefully. I'm guessing I might get a about 50fps more from my 25" barrel....what say you? Since I have the slightly longer barrel length I wonder if IMR 4064 would work since it is a bit slower than H4895, but faster than IMR 4350?
Sorry for the yellow "dots" on the target. I was sighting in my 35 Rem as well to take deer hunting. Didn't want to go down range and get wet.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,350
Messages
1,573,780
Members
169,851
Latest member
centblacterpgraz1978
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top