.404 Jeffery Build

arizonajake

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
After dreaming of having a .404 Jeffery for over 30 years, I came to a crossroads: Keep dreaming or build one. I decided to build one and the decision just might let have mine ready for my planned RSA hunting trip next year.

I purchased a well-maintained Enfield P-14 action in .30-06. The stock is nice, but not of English style for DGA hunting. Here are my plans and questions. Please comment and make recommendations. Any and all are welcome and appreciated, with a BIG thank you! in advance.

I have not received the rifle, so I still have to confirm its cartridge capacity - 5 or 6 shots.

Stock: Is there a stock maker y'all can recommend to make an inleted, unfinished English style stock suitable for a DGA rifle? I will do the boiled linseed oil finishing myself (it will be my third stock). I have already found someone who can carry-out the checkering. My gunsmith will do the glass-bedding, installation of a grip cap, sling swivel mount and Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad.

Action: The action is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Should I have my gunsmith open-up and re-tap the screw holes to accept larger screws?

Barrel: Pac-Nor carbon steel. I contacted Pac-Nor and they confirm they can install one of their barrels to my desired countour (24 inches, Remington Sendero with .725 muzzle diameter) in the action, while arranging to have the bolt face modified to accept the larger rim diameter. My gunsmith will handle the installation of a barrel band/swivel mount and bluing.

Scope: I have a Redfield 2-7X scope available, which is at least 40 years old. Any problem using it?

Again, all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

PS. I am already putting-up my SIG / Rizzini 20 gauge Sporting Clays shotgun up for sale to cover the cost. :confused:

I am in the midst of a project with George Gillespie at Sonoran Stockworks to make a DG rifle stock pattern for P14/17 Enfields. I do not know of any other source for a DG rifle stock for this action. i am sure VonGruff or Satterlee could do it, but now you would be commissioning a fully custom stock. My pattern will be towards the A-Square style, not English, however.

I would run a pool for how long the Redfield lasts. I might buy the five shot space. I would definitely upgrade to 8x40 screws.

I am in the midst of a project with George Gillespie at Sonoran Stockworks to make a DG rifle stock pattern for P14/17 Enfields. I do not know of any other source for a DG rifle stock for this action. i am sure VonGruff or Satterlee could do it, but now you would be commissioning a fully custom stock. My pattern will be towards the A-Square style, not English, however.

I would run a pool for how long the Redfield lasts. I might buy the five shot space. I would definitely upgrade to 8x40 screws.
Thank you!

I will check-out Sonoran Stockworks and A-Square's info. My aim is to keep costs reasonable.

I dont have a P14 inlet pattern but will watch the progress of the build.

Checking out A-Square may be tough - they folded - I worked there in a prior life, so have knowledge of the stock shape/contour.

Boyd's also has Enfield inletted stocks - for .30-06 sporters - not of a size adequate to handle a dangerous game cartridge. I guess that would be your call -

I am building a .495 A-Square and would not want a standard .30-06 recoil pad punching my shoulder with 6,000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. I bet your cartridge is a bit more tame, but you might not like the .30-06 size either. At least I brought up the issue for you to consider. Your gun, your call! I hope it turns out to be your Goldilocks gun!!!!

Your plan will work fine. Paid-For has done 2 404 Jeff for me, and I am happy with their work. I would get a new scope! Sure as can be Mr Murphy would show up just when you need the scope most.

The Enfield action is an extremely underrated action . While my .458 Winchester Magnum is built on a Winchester Enfield Model 1917 action , the Pattern 14 Enfield action is equally robust true Magnum length action .

My own .458 Winchester Magnum uses a 25 inch Douglas Premium barrel , but I have only heard extremely good things about PAC NOR .

For a stock , I personally think quite highly of contoured French walnut .

Here is my custom job .

DD5A21B6-E5E5-4C09-BAF5-7531DFF24541.jpeg

After dreaming of having a .404 Jeffery for over 30 years, I came to a crossroads: Keep dreaming or build one. I decided to build one and the decision just might let have mine ready for my planned RSA hunting trip next year.

I purchased a well-maintained Enfield P-14 action in .30-06. The stock is nice, but not of English style for DGA hunting. Here are my plans and questions. Please comment and make recommendations. Any and all are welcome and appreciated, with a BIG thank you! in advance.

I have not received the rifle, so I still have to confirm its cartridge capacity - 5 or 6 shots.

Stock: Is there a stock maker y'all can recommend to make an inleted, unfinished English style stock suitable for a DGA rifle? I will do the boiled linseed oil finishing myself (it will be my third stock). I have already found someone who can carry-out the checkering. My gunsmith will do the glass-bedding, installation of a grip cap, sling swivel mount and Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad.

Action: The action is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Should I have my gunsmith open-up and re-tap the screw holes to accept larger screws?

Barrel: Pac-Nor carbon steel. I contacted Pac-Nor and they confirm they can install one of their barrels to my desired countour (24 inches, Remington Sendero with .725 muzzle diameter) in the action, while arranging to have the bolt face modified to accept the larger rim diameter. My gunsmith will handle the installation of a barrel band/swivel mount and bluing.

Scope: I have a Redfield 2-7X scope available, which is at least 40 years old. Any problem using it?

Again, all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

PS. I am already putting-up my SIG / Rizzini 20 gauge Sporting Clays shotgun up for sale to cover the cost. :confused:
P
I found Richards Microfit Stocks makes 98% inlet stocks for P-14/1917/Rem. M-30. They also have a choice of wood. Leaning toward Old Classic #2 in English AA Fancy or Bastogne AA Fancy.

Regards,
I just received a stock from Richards Microfit. I haven't started working on finishing it yet, but so far it looks good and I'm pleased with it. It's in the "Old Style" with the round fore-end. My .458 WM is on a similar stock and for me all bolt action hunting rifles should be stocked like this.
Doug

P

I just received a stock from Richards Microfit. I haven't started working on finishing it yet, but so far it looks good and I'm pleased with it. It's in the "Old Style" with the round fore-end. My .458 WM is on a similar stock and for me all bolt action hunting rifles should be stocked like this.
Doug
Yes, Doug, I meant so say the "Old Style #2".

I have only one peice of advice. If you are doing iron sites on this rifle give careful consideration to them. I have learned I shoot considerably better some iron sites then with others. I found a square front site and ghost ring rear works way better than a normal bead front site and v backsite.
If you don't want irons I'm a fan of a backup scope in QD rings or a red dot.

I have only one peice of advice. If you are doing iron sites on this rifle give careful consideration to them. I have learned I shoot considerably better some iron sites then with others. I found a square front site and ghost ring rear works way better than a normal bead front site and v backsite.
If you don't want irons I'm a fan of a backup scope in QD rings or a red dot.
Thank you, Luke. I will check into those sights. I have not found QD mounts/rings for Enfield P-14s, but I am confident I will find them. I have QDs on my Win. M70 in .375 H&H.

I found a donor Enfield rifle in .30-06 for the build! Will it require a .303 follower plate, or will the 30-06 follower plate work when feeding .404s?

Thanks!

Build status:

The donor rifle arrived:

Remington 1917. Sporterized, with the magazine cut down to limit capacity to five 30-06 rounds. Bottom metal also modified to eliminate the magazine belly. No problem. Ordered a replacement magazine box and correct bottom metal, as well as replacement guard screws, just in case the existing ones are too short.

The rifle came with a Musgrove replacement trigger, set at 2 lbs. with minimal sear engagement. further adjustment was not possible. Not bad, but it will be replaced with a Timney and set at 2 lbs. with a tad more sear engagement, just so the sear won't trip when slamming the bolt home.

Someone had tapped misaligned scope base holes, which had been subsequently plugged with blind screws and new holes tapped. Some scratching in that area. No problem, easy to blend-in and polish. The bluing was excellent.

Old Style # 2 Grade-A fancy Bastogne walnut stock with ebony tip and grip cap ordered from Richards Microfit Stocks. The salesperson stated Bastogne walnut was their densest and hardest wood.

Order placed at Pac-Nor for a #6 contour, match grade (their standard) short shank barrel (.750" muzzle diameter), 3-groove bore, to be installed, chambered and crowned at 24 inches. Rate of twist is 1 turn in 9 inches. Pac-Nor will also handle opening the bolt face and making any modifications to the extractor.

Now it's time to send them the action, then hurry up and wait.

Last edited:
Great calibre choice. I have a custom 404J built on a Win M70 Stainless 375H&H donor rifle. I would be getting a different scope as suggested by others. Eye relief would be a concern in an older scope. I would think you would want at least 4". I have a Nikon African 1-4x20 with German #4 reticle.

Great calibre choice. I have a custom 404J built on a Win M70 Stainless 375H&H donor rifle. I would be getting a different scope as suggested by others. Eye relief would be a concern in an older scope. I would think you would want at least 4". I have a Nikon African 1-4x20 with German #4 reticle.
I will be installing a Leupold Vari-Xi, 1.5-5X scope. That should do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg