375 H&H ammo

Hmaxwell

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Howdy - been looking for some Barnes X or Swift A Frame 300 grain ammo for upcoming hunt. All I can find is Nosler partitions in 300 grain. Any opinions on the Noslers vs the others? Thanks in advance!

ham

Lion, leopard and associated baits - hippo, buf

If that is all you can find go for it. That used to be THE bullet before the Aframe and TSX. Might want to have some solids with you for the hippo and buff.

Do you need bullets or ammunition? Federal is listing ammunition loaded with the Swift A-Frame on their website if you want to purchase directly, but they are currently out-of-stock and they definitely ain't cheap. https://www.federalpremium.com They did have some in-stock recently, so presumably they are (or were) in production again.

If you only require bullets for reloading, then call Swift and get on the backorder as Rookhawk suggested. I spoke to them yesterday and they were preparing to manufacture the .416 A-Frame, with other calibers to follow.

Howdy - been looking for some Barnes X or Swift A Frame 300 grain ammo for upcoming hunt. All I can find is Nosler partitions in 300 grain. Any opinions on the Noslers vs the others? Thanks in advance!

ham
Optics Planet delivered these after a short backorder period. (10 -14 days)
Barnes LRX Rifle Bullets, .375 H&H Magnum, Hunting, 270 grain, 50 Bullets/Box, Polymer, 30483, BTE-RP1-375LRX-30483. Little lighter than you spec'd...

I also used Barnes TSX in 300 and 350 Grain... Just find them and get on the back order.

Partition is great. Some are going to say a tougher bullet for the buff. While that is true... The 300 gr NP has killed tons of buffalo for decades and will be perfect for your big cats too. Its a great do it all bullet IMHO.
talk to your PH also!

ham

If you are needing loaded 375 ammo
PM me. I have some spare Federal 375 HH 300 Swift Aframes. Not taking my 375 this trip.

https://www.safariarms.com. Call John La Sala with Safari Arms. He will custom load you any bullet you want. Great service and quick.

All,
Good day, I am in the same predicament of finding the appropriate 300 grain. I have my 375 sighted in with A frames, my PH would prefer them as well. I am leaving in November, game unknown, could be Cape, Eland, etc. But I can't find diddly and I search a lot and realize premiums, so the new question, what can be the next alternative to a 300 grain A frame, Trophy bonded, Accu bond, and the consensus seemed that Hornady didn't match, with their DGX and Barnes TSX equally as hard to find. I am not a hoarder, so I might even be good with a single box, but two is always better. I considered custom stuff, but that direction is not so easy to find and I am somewhat afraid of $250 a box, it goes against common logic for me.

What sites have I missed, or how incorrect am I in being too selective.

Any info is good info. Regards and thanks.

The 300Gr Nosler Partition is all I ever use for lion and leopard. Couldn't be more satisfied.
1C229CE8-A1F5-4587-975A-CCBC8FB2D2C4.jpeg

In my humble experience, the Nosler Partition is far superior for hunting the great cats than the Barnes TSX. You want bullets that open up quickly.

As a general rule, the old traditional lead cored bullet will expand quicker on lions and leopards than the all copper monolithic hollow points. This is a good thing.

Now, for hippo and buffalo ... you follow the exact opposite rule. You need premium grade expanding bullets which open up comparatively slowly, so that they hold together long enough to penetrate into the vitals of these tougher framed beasts. For these species, the Nosler Partition is an absolute no no. I personally prefer the 300Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (as loaded by Federal in their "Premium" line). But I've recently used 300Gr Barnes TSX for hunting a hippo on land this year. I was most satisfied. But I personally prefer the Federal TBBC .
Buff 1.jpg
B uff 4.jpg
Buff 2.jpg

A long time ago, a local (African) friend used 200Gr Nosler Partitions in a .30-06 to shoot several Cape buffalo for the butcher at the Wankie colliery to feed the workers. He reported that they worked wonders if a perfect broadside shot behind the shoulder was taken. But also said that it’s suicide to attempt to use any Nosler Partitions (regardless of caliber) for frontal shots on Cape buffalo. I’m inclined to believe him.

Last edited:
Hendershots.net custom hand loaded ammo has Barnes TSX, A-Frames & Cutting Edge in 300 grain in stock w/ 3-week turn-around.

Happy Trails

All,
Good day, I am in the same predicament of finding the appropriate 300 grain. I have my 375 sighted in with A frames, my PH would prefer them as well. I am leaving in November, game unknown, could be Cape, Eland, etc. But I can't find diddly and I search a lot and realize premiums, so the new question, what can be the next alternative to a 300 grain A frame, Trophy bonded, Accu bond, and the consensus seemed that Hornady didn't match, with their DGX and Barnes TSX equally as hard to find. I am not a hoarder, so I might even be good with a single box, but two is always better. I considered custom stuff, but that direction is not so easy to find and I am somewhat afraid of $250 a box, it goes against common logic for me.

I just ordered 2 boxes of 375 - 300 grain Aframes from swift last week - just got them. They might have some in stock

All,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 6.54.48 AM 1 Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 6.54.48 AM 1 Large.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 6.54.48 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 6.54.48 AM Large.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 31
@Hmaxwell - I have some 375H&H ammo loaded with 300 grain Swift A-Frames loaded by John at Safari Arms Ltd. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!