35 Whelen

Yeah, the .35 Whelen is the most sophisticated and versatile smokeless powder cartridge over .30 caliber ever invented. James Howe's only grievous mistake when designing it was in using bullets of .358" diameter instead of .338". Fortunately, Elmer Keith, Charlie O'Neil, and Don Hopkins came along and corrected Howe's grievous mistake when they developed the .333 OKH cartridge. They only used .333" diameter bullets because they were available in heavier weights than the .338" diameter bullets available at the time. But then, in 1958, the wise experts of ballistics at Winchester introduced the magnificent .338 Winchester Magnum cartridge, loaded with proper .338" diameter heavy bullets, and finally all was right with the world. The angels rejoiced and the .35 Whelen continued to languish in obscurity.
animal.gif
th_blissysmile.gif
rotflmo.gif
sofa.gif


Cheers! Bob F.
icon_beer2.gif
Yes. Magnificent .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM!
 
@BFaucett
Love the reply BobF
I get the same thing from @CoElkHunter
You 338 owners have no sense of humour.
When will y'all realise the Whelen is BETTER than the 338
Preaching to the choir is easy but preaching to the unbelievers and naysayers is hard work.
One thing tho at least owning a 338 you leave plenty of 358 stuff for us.
Bob

You seem to forget that I own a .338 Win Mag AND a .35 Whelen!
moon.gif
animal.gif


My rifles:

my-Ruger-M77-Mk-II-338.jpg

Ruger M77 Mk II .338 Win Mag​

my-Ruger-M77-Hawkeye-35-Whelen.jpg

Ruger M77 Hawkeye .35 Whelen​

I like them both. Each has its own charms.

Cheers! Bob F.
wave.gif
icon_beer2.gif
 
Last edited:
To me a closer comparison to the whelen are the 338-06 and 9.3x62. For the 338wm it would be the 358 norma. I do not understand how the 338wm is bested by the 35 whelen as documented in the reloading manuals while staying within SAAMI standards. To me it's like comparing the 9.3x62 to the 375H&H. Two similar but different cartridges.
 
To me a closer comparison to the whelen are the 338-06 and 9.3x62. For the 338wm it would be the 358 norma. I do not understand how the 338wm is bested by the 35 whelen as documented in the reloading manuals while staying within SAAMI standards. To me it's like comparing the 9.3x62 to the 375H&H. Two similar but different cartridges.
@jruby
Staying with SAAMI specs the Whelen will push a 250grainer to 2,700fps very similar to the book 338 win mag
And 225s to 2,900fps the same as the 338
All still within SAAMI spec and from reloading companies like Speer and Sierra
Yes you can load the 338 hotter. Put it in a magnum length action and long throat the barrel and the 338 will fully equal the 340 Weatherby .
All the Whelen needed was proper reloading.
Bob
 
One thing I've found with published load data is that mainstream cartridges that are widely available as factory loads typically have very consistent published load weights, powders, and velocities from source material to source material.

Sierra and Speer have much higher published velocities compared to Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, and Swift manuals for the 35W. The 35W is also a bit all over the map with max published velocities.

For example, the MAX published velocity for the 35W:
  • Nosler (2806)
  • Barnes (2701)
  • Hornady (2650 - for 200 grain bullets, no data in my book for 225)
  • Swift (2623)

MAX published velocity for 338WM with 225gr:
  • Nosler (2882)
  • Barnes (2878)
  • Hornady (2800)
  • Swift (2809)

Always the reminder to be a cautious reloader - some barrels run faster than others, work your load up slowly, and if you are seeing pressure signs you are already WAY over pressure.
 
One thing I've found with published load data is that mainstream cartridges that are widely available as factory loads typically have very consistent published load weights, powders, and velocities from source material to source material.

Sierra and Speer have much higher published velocities compared to Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, and Swift manuals for the 35W. The 35W is also a bit all over the map with max published velocities.

For example, the MAX published velocity for the 35W:
  • Nosler (2806)
  • Barnes (2701)
  • Hornady (2650 - for 200 grain bullets, no data in my book for 225)
  • Swift (2623)

MAX published velocity for 338WM with 225gr:
  • Nosler (2882)
  • Barnes (2878)
  • Hornady (2800)
  • Swift (2809)

Always the reminder to be a cautious reloader - some barrels run faster than others, work your load up slowly, and if you are seeing pressure signs you are already WAY over pressure.
@RStien321
Speer 250 (2,700)
Sierra 225 (2,900)
Both safe loads in my rifle BUT WORK UP FROM MINIMUM.
Bob
 
@jruby
Staying with SAAMI specs the Whelen will push a 250grainer to 2,700fps very similar to the book 338 win mag
And 225s to 2,900fps the same as the 338
All still within SAAMI spec and from reloading companies like Speer and Sierra
Yes you can load the 338 hotter. Put it in a magnum length action and long throat the barrel and the 338 will fully equal the 340 Weatherby .
All the Whelen needed was proper reloading.
Bob
How do they stack up at 300gr ?
 
@Flbt
View attachment 717260
310gn Woodleigh rnsp in the Whelen.
Hopefully that answers your question.
Answer
Very well thank you
Bob
What the speed difference at the 300gr?

Idk you really have me looking for a cheap 06 with sight to send off the Jes to have made 35w
Might be time to go up from the 350
 
Alright boys my Lipseys Whelen was dropped off for glass bedding today. I have a trigger spring ready for when it gets back and should have the extended bottom metal in a few weeks.

About a month from now I will be flinging 35s! Might even get me a deer with it this year.
 
@Flbt
View attachment 717260
310gn Woodleigh rnsp in the Whelen.
Hopefully that answers your question.
Answer
Very well thank you
Bob
I have made up my mind on have a 35 done
So desided to look at a local gun traid sight.
I should not ( wife wreck car so all my desposible cash for now is being desposed by her)
What do I fined a interarms mark x Mauser mannlicher 30-06 20 in barrel and pic looks to. Be 95+ % condition for 6
My luck it will be gone by the time I could get it I bet because deer season all most here.

Oh well it will give me something to thank about during deer season lol
 
That’s the one pic I could get to load
 

Attachments

  • 95B55069-2C1D-456C-9DC2-D669BA17F5CD.png
    95B55069-2C1D-456C-9DC2-D669BA17F5CD.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 98

Forum statistics

Threads
70,330
Messages
1,573,168
Members
169,715
Latest member
AngelineLe
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top