340 Weatherby

It's a fantastic cartridge. I stumbled on to one a couple years ago, A LH Mark V Euromark. If anyone needs load info for this cartridge give me a shout. My rifle definitely has a preference for TTSX and 250gr Partitions. It also shoots Sierra Match kings great though it's not really a hunting bullet.

I've used one on Kodiak for years. 300 grain bullets 200 fps faster than 375 H&H. 338 RUM and 338 Lapua are it's competition.

Hey MM
Toted mine on Kodiak 3 years [93-94-95] in a row, floated the Karluk for steelhead from 10/20 to 11/20. Took the 340 along for company. Ate on a blacktail each year.
Used 250 Noslers.
Great company!!!!!

I myself don't see why a good 300 gr. 338 caliber bullet would not work on cap buffalo. It may have to much penetration. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

On paper there are a lot of loads with the .340 Weatherby that would work quite well on cape buffalo. However due to caliber restrictions for the cape buffalo the .338 round is a tad bit on the small side. I know that I would not feel under gunned with one but you have to go by the rules of the country that you are hunting in

Here are a couple of my favorite loads for the .340WBY in case anyone is interested...

All loads use Norma/Weatherby Brass and Fed 215GMM Primers
225gr TTSX 86gr of H-4831SC 3.640 COAL roll crimp
225gr TTSX 93gr of RL-25 3.640 COAL roll crimp

She has a very distinct bite. My favorite caliber for Elk. I let a guide shoot mine in Alberta on a moose hunt and he picked up a little eye brow music!! Depending on the hunt 225 or 300 NAB’s seem to really do well out of the old Mark V.

She has a very distinct bite. My favorite caliber for Elk. I let a guide shoot mine in Alberta on a moose hunt and he picked up a little eye brow music!! Depending on the hunt 225 or 300 NAB’s seem to really do well out of the old Mark V.

Yep. It definitely takes some getting used to. I bought my .460 before I bought the .340. After running through a box of max loads in that beast makes everything else during the range trip seem tame. ;-)

After running through a box of max loads in that beast makes everything else during the range trip seem tame. ;-)

When going to the range and taking several (5 or 6) rifles I find it works best if I shoot the heaviest first, then progressively down the scale, heaviest to lightest. That way each rifle recoils less than the previous one, so it seems less of an ordeal.

Mine is a Weatherby Mark V in a accumark. Sub-Moa with 3 different bullets. Favorite is the 225 TTSX. It has the Weatherby brake on it. I shoot this rifle prone all the time and it shoots a 3.5" 5 shot groups at 400 yards. I have hunted for years with a .338 win mag, using the same bullet. On paper there isn't a lot of difference, but on the game l have taken, there is no comparison. The elk in my avatar was taken with it
If your seriously thinking about a .338 cal go with the .340

I bought a Rem XCR II in 375 H&H about 8 years ago. It had an oversize extractor right out of the box. Anyway, got that fixed had it rechambered to 375 Weatherby, it's accurate as hell and weighs 7.5 lbs with a Leupold 2-7x Scope on it. Shoots a 300g bullet at 2800 fps, recoil is not bad at all, must be the squishy stock. Kicks about like a 300 Win Mag. Got my brown bear with it that year. All told, without scope I have about $1000 into the rifle. it's light, TriNyte coating on the metal (like CeraKote), accurate and reliable. Just a thought.

usomoEO.jpg

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,