333 Jeffery barrel dimensions

The project is inching forward.

Barrel is chambered, crowned and profiled (waiting for linishing), trigger, sights and sling eye are at the 'smiths.

barrel on.png

Question for AHers is which typeface for the engraving?

engraving options.png

At this point, some of you may have already put me at one end of the OCD spectrum :ROFLMAO:

Barrel is chambered, crowned and profiled (waiting for linishing), trigger, sights and sling eye are at the 'smiths.

View attachment 508210

View attachment 508211

At this point, some of you may have already put me at one end of the OCD spectrum :ROFLMAO:
#6! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Looking good Mark, i also am waiting to see the finished product.:p
Thanks Richard - hope you had a good Christmas.

#6! Can’t wait to see the finished product!
Thanks WT580 - you and me both!

I've shortlisted a few blanks and have some alkanet steeping in some linseed for when finishing time rolls around.

Would be interested in people's preferences re the shortlisted blanks (and why).

1672352065050.png

1672352082214.png

1672352095011.png

Mark thank you, we did have a good xmas my sons & families come up & are going home to night. My eldest son just got a Howa 1500 in 375 Ruger & i will put it in a Bell & Carlson stock for him . my vote on the stock wood is cal20 i think it has the best grain structure. how did you go with 333 Jef dies & brass & did Alan Swan do the bbl? All the best for New Year to you& your family. Swan is making a stainless fluted 1-10 twist bbl in 6 MM BR for me, hope to get it soon i am re barreling my Ruger 22 PPC, his 318 WR bbl is out standing.

I am liking the bottom blank for its even colour and graining in the butt and the nice straight grain in the forstock to reduce any chance of warp due to atmospheric interference.
My choice for the font would be a combination of the height of the letters in #1 and the width of the lettering of #5 to give an elegance to the engraving that would not need overblown size to shout of its pedigree.

View attachment 508210

View attachment 508211

I like 5 but the letters seem a bit close together.

Thanks for all the input.

Once I decide on the typeface for the engraving, I'll tweak the spacing, size etc.

Mark thank you, we did have a good xmas my sons & families come up & are going home to night. My eldest son just got a Howa 1500 in 375 Ruger & i will put it in a Bell & Carlson stock for him . my vote on the stock wood is cal20 i think it has the best grain structure. how did you go with 333 Jef dies & brass & did Alan Swan do the bbl? All the best for New Year to you& your family. Swan is making a stainless fluted 1-10 twist bbl in 6 MM BR for me, hope to get it soon i am re barreling my Ruger 22 PPC, his 318 WR bbl is out standing.
Thanks Richard - sounds like a good day. I have a Howa 375R myself, great fun. Mine came drilled and tapped for iron sights from the factory and Williams were really helpful getting me the right sights.

333 Jeff dies no problem, got them from CH4D when I first decided on the project. Plenty of brass from Uncle Bruce ;-).

Swanny did the barrel - I dropped in to see them and checked it out when I was in Brisbane recently.

I'm also very happy with the 318 WR bbl he did for me.

Some progress pics. Excuse the image quality ... good 'smiths aren't necessarily the next Ansel Adams ;).

Hopefully off to the engraver next week.

frontsight.png

action island.png

Thanks for input on the blanks - #89 won the day in the end. It was a close run race with CAL20. Stock is hopefully being machined next week, I've still not seen the stock in person, but am told that pictures don't do it justice and am confident it will come up nicely.

bandsawn1.png
bandsawn1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add some pics if you want mate after it's machined. Forgot to mention on the phone yesty that the 09 Argentine crest lover inside of me let a small whimper out when I first saw it :cry::ROFLMAO:(y)

Hey, thats looking nice mate (y)

I might have missed this in an earlier post, bot who is the wood and stock work being done by?

Also, did Sawn fit the barrel, or just make it?

I'll add some pics if you want mate after it's machined. Forgot to mention on the phone yesty that the 09 Argentine crest lover inside of me let a small whimper out when I first saw it :cry::ROFLMAO:(y)

@HRS Swanny said the crest removal might cause you some distress :LOL:

Some more pics would be awesome as the machining progresses. (y)

Hey, thats looking nice mate (y)

I might have missed this in an earlier post, bot who is the wood and stock work being done by?

Also, did Sawn fit the barrel, or just make it?

Thanks RT,

Grant Swan has done all the metal work, fit sights, re-fit bolt handle, tidy action up a bit etc and supply and fit barrel.

The stock is from @HRS using one of his blanks - I'm still looking at who will do the stock finishing.

View attachment 508210

View attachment 508211

No 5

Hi Tintin.

Looking foreward to see the finished rifle. Choosing the true "triple 3" isn`t for everyone. I went down that road too back in 2004. The long 300grain bullet is impressive leaving the imagination for something "spectacular will happen". That caliber has been my passion for years now. Ever since I saw this cartridge back in the 80s in "Cartridges of the world" I was impressed with this long protruding bullet. like a 6,5x54Schönauer on steriods. I had my barrels made in England. Metford rifled , London proofs. The barrel contoured was copied from David Littles(Kynoch) .333Jeffery mauser. I hope you will have many years of happiness with that "african" caliber.
AquqGGNh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @rigbymauser - yep there is something about those long bullets.

Yours sounds impressive, any pictures?

Thanks RT,

Grant Swan has done all the metal work, fit sights, re-fit bolt handle, tidy action up a bit etc and supply and fit barrel.

The stock is from @HRS using one of his blanks - I'm still looking at who will do the stock finishing.
Bonza (y) I used a blank from Cameron on my son's build that I wrote up here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/new-build-for-my-son.73173/ and I have another of Cameron's blanks on order at the moment. Definatly a limited pool of people who can finish them to the required standard though.

So if I am reading right, Swan has the Jeffery profile on file now? I might have to talk to them about some projects as I am thinking about building a 333 Jeff and also a 404 Jeff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.