Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Image1674425094.476629.jpg

Had my gunsmith work on my 300 Winchester magnum.
I originally had this rifle made by a gunsmith Dan.
It’s a Remington 700 but originally in Weatherby 300.
I only used the stock and action and had Dan put a medium stainless steel 24 inch barrel on it and replace the trigger with a Timney set for three quarters of a pound pressure.
I only shot 2 red deer and 1 Rusa and the rifle was rarely used.
Now I have a muzzle brake and a Nightforce 12-42x 56 target scope on it.
This Saturday I’ll test out my hand loads -195 and 208 Hornady ELD match bullets.
CCI magnum primers with 82 and 81 grains of AR2225 powder (both compressed).
Measured how far out I have the bullets to the lands.
Incidentally Remington factory rounds in 150 and 180 grain bullets shot to the same horizontal but the 180s shot an inch higher at 100 yards.
Saturday - shooting at laser measured target of 402 m.
When the data are available I’ll advise the results. Hopefully I can shoot a fly at 402m (preferably on target I will be aiming at).

Last edited:
What chamber did you have cut in it. I have been exploring the Mark 248 Mod0&1. The long range 300WM has me quite curious.

Gunsmith -
I don’t know but he converted from Weatherby to Winchester
Shoots very well
By long range I mean out to 2 km

After that I’ll use my 338 WN but that might not be for a while

I have shot to 1.8 k
Using 300 WM
Actual hit the target I was aiming at

View attachment 512586
Had my gunsmith work on my 300 Winchester magnum.
I originally had this rifle made by a gunsmith Dan.
It’s a Remington 700 but originally in Weatherby 300.
I only used the stock and action and had Dan put a medium stainless steel 24 inch barrel on it and replace the trigger with a Timney set for three quarters of a pound pressure.
I only shot 2 red deer and 1 Rusa and the rifle was rarely used.
Now I have a muzzle brake and a Nightforce 12-42x 56 target scope on it.
This Saturday I’ll test out my hand loads -195 and 208 Hornady ELD match bullets.
CCI magnum primers with 82 and 81 grains of AR2225 powder (both compressed).
Measured how far out I have the bullets to the lands.
Incidentally Remington factory rounds in 150 and 180 grain bullets shot to the same horizontal but the 180s shot an inch higher at 100 yards.
Saturday - shooting at laser measured target of 402 m.
When the data are available I’ll advise the results. Hopefully I can shoot a fly at 402m (preferably on target I will be aiming at).
@Dr Ray
Very nice but for target work wouldn't a 26 or 28 inch barrel be better. A bit more velocity and stability.
Do you single load for target if so have you considered long throating it so you can seat the projectiles out further snd get that bit more out of it.
Bob

@Dr Ray
Very nice but for target work wouldn't a 26 or 28 inch barrel be better. A bit more velocity and stability.
Do you single load for target if so have you considered long throating it so you can seat the projectiles out further snd get that bit more out of it.
Bob

I originally had the rifle for hunting and target shooting.
Only shot 2 red deer and 1 Rusa as I found the 300 too powerful for deer.
Only in the last few weeks I had the gunsmith gear it up for long range target shooting.
With the muzzle brake on, the overall barrel length is 26 inches.
I’m testing it out on Saturday at a range near Mareeba.
I’ll post photos etc of course.
I’ll also be practising using my newly acquired 25/06 for fallow deer hunting in Tasmania late March.

@Dr Ray
Bob

Even after measuring the cartridge to the lands (and backing off slightly) can feed through the magazine

I originally had the rifle for hunting and target shooting.
Only shot 2 red deer and 1 Rusa as I found the 300 too powerful for deer.
Only in the last few weeks I had the gunsmith gear it up for long range target shooting.
With the muzzle brake on, the overall barrel length is 26 inches.
I’m testing it out on Saturday at a range near Mareeba.
I’ll post photos etc of course.
I’ll also be practising using my newly acquired 25/06 for fallow deer hunting in Tasmania late March.
@Dr Ray
The 117grain SST at 3,000fps is on very deadly deer bullet. I use it I'm my 25 at over 3,300fps and fallow don't move off the spot and have never recovered a bullet. The 100gn TTSX at 3,400fps out of your 25-06 will shoot flat and take them way out yonder as well. Just remember the 25-06 shoots flat so don't over shoot animals but holding to high like I did until I got used to the trajectory. A 2.5" sight in at 100yds will see you fine to around 350yds with a dead on hold. A back line hold will see you fine to 400yrds plus.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanaIvy5

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.