30-06...Which Rifle?

Win 70 super grade - I am biased to the look and handling of the newer model 70s (long extractor), especially the featherweights. I used my super grade 30-06 for my first Safari (all PG) with 180 TTSX - can’t complain and wouldn’t change my choice if I could.
Others have mentioned jumping straight to 375 - also not a bad idea. Pretty versatile with bullet weights and can handle most anything. This next trip to Limpopo I’m taking a 375 for PG and a 404J for buff.
 
Bergera in 30.06 caliber. Deadly accurate and smooth action.
 
I have a ruger no.1 in 30-06. I bought it because I also have 450/400 in the no.1. With some practice I'm getting pretty fast with the second shot.
 
It’s an old post but it struck a cord with me since I own 5 .30-06’s and was working up a load with one of them today. It’s a nothing special stainless steel Remington 700 with a 4-12 leupold on it. Not an expensive rifle and I’ve put a Timney trigger on it and had it drilled for 8-40 scope base screws but otherwise no upgrades. I’m working with 165 gr accubond and these 3 shot groups are at 100 yards. I love the -06 and plan to take my oooold one to South Africa in 2022.
I do own a .375 wby and it is one of my favorites-but it does have some recoil!
130DC564-3638-4FF2-A575-18F0D8215943.jpeg
1915CBE6-0606-409A-87BB-0AF564DE96E8.jpeg
 
For a all around hunting rifle to 500 yards its hard to beat. I love mine for 1000 yard steel, but there are better cartridges suited for long range hunting. The 30-06 shoves the heavy high BC bullets fast enough to make it useable for 1000 yard steel, but not fast enough in my opinion for hunting past 600-800 yards with 800 being reserved for maybe whitetails and pronghorn.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,439
Messages
1,576,379
Members
170,567
Latest member
MitziHicks
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top