30 06 on Blue Wildebeest

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by NicoS, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I used a 338win mag with 225gr A-Frames and they worked great on a couple of BlueWB and a BlackWB.
    In a 30-06 (which I did take) I would use 180gr A-Frames or 150-180gr Barnes TTSX bullets.
    I would(and do) use the TTSX over the TSX in all my rifles of 25cal/6.5mm cal/7mm cal/30cal and 338cal.
    My 2 Cents

2. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    I've shot 2. One with the PH's 270 and 150gr PMP (soft as shit) and it went down in about 100yds. The other (a monster) with my 7mm mag and 160gs A-Frame it went less than 50yds and piled up. Your 3006 with a quality 180gr like accubond, Trophy bonded etc or barnes 165 or 168 will do the job. Shot placement can't be emphasized enough. A crap shot with a 375 will fail where a great shot with a 243 will succeed

jeff likes this.

3. Odinsraven

Odinsraven AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
    Hunted:
    UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
    Culled quite a lot of them with 7x64 7mm rem mag 30.06 and 8mm rem mag ....the 8mm with woodleigh 250gr was marginally better but the margin was small ........Wildebeest born sick and improve with lead ......ran into a hunter who said never had a wildebeest run .......so fella pull up a chair grab a beer and tell us all about that one wildebeest you shot ........

lcq likes this.

4. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    too true

5. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    The same can be said for archery, shot five and four ran between 40 to 80 yards but the one I shot to far back was a long track!

lcq likes this.