243 win. for Baboon

Personally speaking, I would leave the 243 at home and bring more ammo for the 30-06 instead.

YMMV

a 3006 with a 110gr vmax or 125gr sst would be nasty
 
Mark what kind of 243 do you have?
Sorry for the late reply only just noticed your post. It is a CZ 550 with Bushnell Legend scope and Wildcat pred * moderater. It all sits on a Boyds thumbhole varmint stock. shoots like a laser.
MarkCZ
 
Boyds thumbhole is what I have on my 30-06, I really like it.
 
Wonder what one of these Boyd's thumbhole stocks would be on a 458 Lott? Ha!
 
I would leave the 243 at home and use the 30-06 since you may run into another larger animal you want while looking for the baboon. At least put a quality scope on whatever you take. That means Leupold.
I am not a big fan of the 243/6mm for larger game. If you only shoot a baboon and pass on larger animals then it would work. But so would a 30-06/308 or a 338win mag.
I took a 30-06 with 150gr TTSX handloads and a 338win mag with 225gr Swift A-Frame handloads and ended up only using the 338win mag for everything out to 480 yards.
Just My 2 Cents.
 
Take the .243. You are very familiar with it. Any projectile 90 grain and up will do the job on Baboon. There are span loads of game in Africa you can hunt with the .243 and often the smaller game provides a better challenge.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,404
Members
169,559
Latest member
ModestoShe
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top