1855 Tower

Yes, ok.

There are thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) of those rifles in the Bazaars in Afghanistan. I don't think they are antiquing them and they look old as hell with 30-80% of the finish wore off and beat up stocks. I never saw a new looking rifle. I never imported a new looking rifle.

A lot of folks put a lot of digital ink into the the Kyber pass guns. I have been around guns since I was a child, and working on guns since I was an armorer in my first military unit 33 years ago. I never felt like the guns I saw were knock offs. For sure I am not an expert, but I think I have a fairly sophisticated eye, been building my own guns for over 10 years.

The SKS's and Ak's in the market look like the were made yesterday on worn out tooling.

Never saw a gun in Afghanistan the was a musket or falling block that looked as good as your lock does. The amount of finish worn off of them is pretty severe.
 
Couple of pics from Anthony Tiri’s excellent reference on Islamic weapons showing an example of handmade Crown w/VR and misspelled “Enfild” found on a copied gun and four examples of Afghan Jezail tribal guns common to the region. It seems “Enfield” was commonly used on the copies, if for no other reason than it sounds official, rolls off the tongue and would be similar in the US where the term “Winchester” has become synonymous with most any lever gun. :)

IMG_0715.jpeg


IMG_0717.jpeg
 
Here’s my example of an Afghan tribal Jezail. It has an original British Yeomans, East India Company lock, probably originally on a Brown Bess. All other parts are locally made. The octagonal barrel is rifled with bore of approx. 55 caliber. It is of high contrast, mandrel forged twist steel/iron. I occasionally shoot it with a patched round ball and about 30 gr black powder. These were intended to be shot kneeling, sitting, prone or using a rest. Many have a bolster toward the muzzle for attaching a primitive bipod. The often repeated information about these “camel guns” being shot with the short buttstock tucked under the armpit is nothing more than urban legend hooey. :) Most are well worn and somewhat crude but nonetheless fully functional, These were cobbled together by local smiths to use for both hunting game and for two-legged adversaries.

IMG_0718.jpeg


IMG_0719.jpeg
IMG_0720.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Attachments

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,152
Members
169,906
Latest member
kuwinvnco3
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top