180 Grain XTP 10mm

10mm, 150 grain Jack Hammer, 10 grain of Power Pistol, large Pistol primers

b6c01b31-a30e-4baf-81b6-9d0a9c1506cc.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI, …. but for those who don’t, or can’t, reload I recently got re-stocked on Underwood’s Range Supply (RS) 10mm 180grn FMJ ammo.

UW’s ‘box flap’ spec for this load is 1250fps, which is upper mid-range for the ubiquitous 180grn bullet-weight. It’s great practice fodder for the serious EDC-er who packs real 10mm ammo and wants to train with something that’s both reasonably priced and approximates the felt-recoil of his carry ammo. Again, for the guys who don’t reload. It’s definitely not the watered down, overpriced, .40-level “10mm” junk.

After the sweltering heat dome passed on in our area I had a rare free afternoon to practice a bit with my EDC, a S&W 3rd Gen 1066. Afterwards, with my Garmin Xero I chronographed UW’s RS ammo using my most awesome 10mm Sig P220 Match Elite (DA/SA, 5” barrel, two-tone, fixed night sights).

I’m happy to report that out of a real-world 5” gun barrel, the average fps of UW’s 180grn ammo actually exceeded its box-flap spec: 1268.6 fps. That average was derived from 10 shots fired.

Couple of pics:

IMG_2597.jpeg


IMG_2608.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I recently killed a good size wild boar with my Kimber using the Hornady 180 ETP.

I caught him in a Boar Buster trap and waited for him to turn broadside so I could aim for a shoulder shot.

Have done the same thing with lots of other handguns and loads, often filming with my i phone.

It was a reasonably fast killer. About a good 357 magnum load.
 
I've killed deer with the 180gr XTP out of Glock Model 40. 1 Quartering away entered behind last rib and stopped under hide on opposite shoulder. 2nd shot was pass thru. Deer was 45 yards away. I may get flamed for this, but I consider the 10mm a 50 yard max deer gun, unless you are hunting in open field/woods.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,362
Members
169,540
Latest member
NonaG07838
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top