Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
You know when you get drained, flat lining, maybe is is a big project that wont end, or the car is playing up, or it is election season and your side is being stupid. Whatever it is, what brings you relief, a peak, a ray of sunshine?
Here are a few of mine:
Going to see old Land Rovers and test driving them.
Browsing at my favourite gun shop.
Polishing my stock with linseed oil.

What are yours? Even hearing what makes other folks happy makes me happy.

I really need to get away from people to recover. My favorite two activities are paddling on a local swamp and hiking. Swamp paddle is about 3 miles long and takes about 2.5 hours to paddle down and back. I will see lots of wildlife while paddling. In 10 years paddling there I’ve never seen people there outside of duck season. The other is a state park. It’s 10 miles long with hiking trails along edge and through park. During weekday in summer or fall you may be only person in center of park. Also park hasn’t changed in 25 years since I first a started going there and still doesn’t get cell service once you go into valley.
6A8D8205-E7E3-406F-ABC4-313F2317E65E.jpeg
B3BBEE10-0CDE-491B-A750-7E9232339AF9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reloading, prepping cases or loading ammo with some good music in the background.
Might have a nice beverage or two with it too.

If I don't stick to my exercise routine, I get much more affected by things. Reloading, maintaining gear and planning trips are all great distractions too.

It’s going to sound odd, but working on the farm. Nothing like a little tractor therapy.

A 20 mile mountain bike trail ride does it for me, requires absolute focus and high output physically. Nothing like draining yourself and a little adrenaline in order to reset.

1. Tinkering with firearms (I’m more of a mechanic than a smith.. but enjoy building bolt actions from the ground up and/or doing upgrades/improvements on existing firearms when I can)

2. I’m a hobbyist knife maker… spending a few hours out in the shop grinding steel and hardwoods is therapeutic for me…

3. Long brisk walks… when my mind won’t quit racing, a good 1 hour walk, removed from the desk, emails, text messages, teams messages, etc to just have some peace and quiet to sort through the issue is invaluable… and helps with a reset..

Looks wonderful BT, any fish?
Yes, it’s quite loaded with bass and a few other local fishes. Sorry, no pictures of those, yet.

The property also holds a great deal of rabbits and deer. I haven’t seen turkeys yet, but I imagine they are hiding somewhere.
DCF397C3-AE07-48D7-81CB-5D04E8F9BDCF.jpeg

The vegetation grows thick: the most open part of the forest

Last edited:
Also enjoy a bit of reloading!

Otherwise trying to make that perfect fly cast, especially if conditions are pristine. Sometimes it's more rewarding to get perfect loops and precision timing on a cast, than to worry about catching a trout. And enjoying the surroundings and being grateful for what I've got.
IMG_0055.jpg
PHOTO-2021-08-29-10-09-16.jpg
PHOTO-2022-06-26-12-25-27.jpg

Showing some different seasons - yes we have seasons and it can even snow in RSA!

Folks!
As per all above comments, seams that nobody enjoys spending time with family, wife, kids!
You only think about outdoors! :)

On my side, I am having a bit stress at work with new start up, so my relaxing thought is hunting red deer in rut, soon.... very soon....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bafoyo

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.