Energy top-up's

Going to my den with Nilli (my Labradoodle). My den simply brings me hours of enjoyment & relaxation. I read hunting books, watch sports on TV, drink a few beers, and just look at my "shit" as my wife calls it.

Swinging large articulated leeches for big rainbows in early morning fog on rivers like the Kvichak or Naknek

View attachment 487637
CPR always on these.

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 1.21.09 PM.png

Last edited:
I don't often contribute to this forum... shame on me. I simply "eat, sleep and drink" hunting and shooting (and reloading)! I've been doing it for more than fifty years, with a little break to help raise kids! After they were grown, I poured myself back into those passions. So much so, that recently I think a few folks, especially family, probably don't look forward to being stuck around me for 20 minutes at a time! I sometimes forget that I promote my passions to them. But many are like-minded. I'm fortunate to have been able to buy and build a country place of 70 wooded acres, 16 miles from my home. I've used that place to shoot, tune rifles/loads mainly, but the hunting is great there too. I couldn't afford to hunt far away from home in the early years of earning a living and raising a family, and now I'm getting too old, physically. To be honest with myself, I cannot do most of the desired free-range hunting in many of the lands around the world, but it doesn't keep my mind from thinking I can do it, well, some of it! And I do. Maybe a little off topic... but I wonder about other guys in their senior years with our hunting passion. During the past five years, I've read at least 90% of all "fact" books written on 19th and early 20th Century exploration and hunting in Africa. What a charge it was/is to me! Regardless of your age, do it - you WILL enjoy it. (Hunting in S. Africa three years ago was great too!) Thank you Mr. Peacocke for your active involvement in this AH venue! Your experience is something to be proud of and thankful for! Cheers, friends...

Hi @Alan D P, so glad to have you here. Yes, senior years are I am sure a challenge, but not a barrier, just one to be accommodated. What was your business/career? You write well and accurately, the sign of someone who lives carefully too.

Fire. I love an open outside fire burning a nice aromatic wood like mopane. It is great as a solo and even better with friends.
View attachment 487662
@Kevin Peacocke
I to love a nice fire. Destressing in front of a nice open fire with a Bundy or 3 you soon forget about the world.
If it's to cold cuddled up to the wife in front of a fire inside drinking Bundy again but with wife running her fingers thru my hair. I forget everything very quickly. No more detail will be given.
I know ima big softy but don't tell anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Alan D P, so glad to have you here. Yes, senior years are I am sure a challenge, but not a barrier, just one to be accommodated. What was your business/career? You write well and accurately, the sign of someone who lives carefully too.
@Kevin Peacocke
Getting older is a bitch. They don't warn you when you are young that some of the things we did will come back and bite you on the arse big time. The older we get the more the aches and pains affect you. The brain tells us we can still do it but when we try we may do it but the body suffers for it and the brain says got you again you eejit. Old cars we can get replacement parts for despite their age, as we get older spare parts for us get harder to get and don't always work.
Hunt, drink Bundy and be happy.
Bob.
Land rovers were invented keep chiropractors employed.

@Kevin Peacocke
Getting older is a bitch. They don't warn you when you are young that some of the things we did will come back and bite you on the arse big time. The older we get the more the aches and pains affect you. The brain tells us we can still do it but when we try we may do it but the body suffers for it and the brain says got you again you eejit. Old cars we can get replacement parts for despite their age, as we get older spare parts for us get harder to get and don't always work.
Hunt, drink Bundy and be happy.
Bob.
Land rovers were invented keep chiropractors employed.
True that, but they do psycologists out of a living!

Relaxing, I mean really relaxing, it is actually quite hard to do. I have a big couch on the deck at work and once I have done the rounds and seen that everything is ok I pour a coffee and just sit and think of pleasant things. Works until the next buggar-up happens....!

Diving is the most exciting, yet relaxing thing I do. There is nothing like the solitude of watching the reef's action while being completely weightless. No sound but the rhythmic bubbles. No voices, except for the conversation in your mind. No phones. No questions. Just the sea and the amazing world beneath it.
But I've been denied that the last couple years as the world went stupid for awhile, so I use the reloading room and the range in the backyard, as well as the large parcel of land beyond to escape and relax. Sometimes I "forget" to take the cell that might interrupt an otherwise peaceful walk through the prairie. Always with a rifle; never know when a coyote might present an opportunity.
Next best thing to diving is the time spent hunting. The solitude of the timber exudes the same excitement coupled with total relaxation. The day to day world really just disappears as I wander about in the search for game; or just wander about and enjoy the quietness; interrupted now and again by those damn squirrels yelling. Sometimes just sitting and admiring the beauty of the mountains. There's nothing like being alone in nature for that feeling of contentment and relaxation.

Check out Gary Borger’s leech pattern. Most deadly leech pattern I’ve ever used.
Yes! The contrasting strip colors of the larger leech patterns work! I imagine Borger's contrasting strip pattern, to the fish, appears similar some of the leeches I use.

Some of my favorites for dead drift, tight line swinging across and down into the heads of deeper holes. All are articulated with short shank trailer and have weighted heads and sometimes with sink tip line depending on conditions.

Top to bottom:
black and white Dalai Lama, blue and yellow Dalai Lama, Big Ugly, Flesh Fly :)

IMG_3586.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 1.32.05 PM.png

IMG_2224.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OUCIsis169

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.