Reaction score
Website
www.kwalata.com
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life Member, PHASA, IPHA, DSC Life Member.
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
I have thought it well to post this mostly for other outfitters.

On Tuesday the 4th I picked up Jason Edens (West Virginia) at OR Rambo intl.
After clearing firearms we proceeded, to my vehicle, to start the journey to Kwalata Wilderness.
Jason requested beer for the long road, this was no problem to me and I gladly obliged, after hitting the highway Jason asked if there was any way for him to connect with his family, I assured him there was and offered my cell phone at no charge. He spoke to his son.

I soon noticed that with every beer a hand full of tablets went in the same way.
Well 40 cigarettes a burn mark in my new pick up 12 beers and pills (by my later calculations roughly 18) we reached Kwalata (btw this is a 3 hour drive).

Being a gracious host I offered Jasom some snacks at the bar, he obliged requested a beer and a Jack Daniels.

I also had German clients in camp still as we speak, one drink led to the next with Jason visiting the rest room periodically with his leather (lap top like bag) accompanying every time.

Soon I noticed that something was not well.
Shortly after Jason indicated that he had back problems, and enquired about availability of Hydrocodone,

Sounds like a nightmare client(n)

Don't think you want a guy who is popping pills behind you with a gun.

Especially since you picked him up at Rambo int.:D

images[1].jpg

Jaco is having trouble posting and contacted me with more info which I'll post later as I'm out and about today. But suffice to say it gets a bit uglier.

Thanks Jaco.
Never nice to hear stories like this. All the best of luck with him, if he is still in camp.Stay safe choem.

From now on, if any one wishes to book with me, I will require at least 3 references from the past 3 years... ;):D

Jaco is having trouble posting and contacted me with more info which I'll post later as I'm out and about today. But suffice to say it gets a bit uglier.

Phil, thanks for keeping us up to date.

Dangerous Game for sure..... not good. (n)

Thanks Jaco.
Never nice to hear stories like this. All the best of luck with him, if he is still in camp.Stay safe choem.

From now on, if any one wishes to book with me, I will require at least 3 references from the past 3 years... ;):D

Can Jason Edens be one of the references?:eek::D

Sorry.....I'm just in one of those moods today.;)

Best of luck.

i take it Jaco will be out of pocket until the client heads home.

I know with pain pills, i take as few as i possible can. except this time with my knee, my wife want the knee repaired and we will deal with a addiction issue after it is healed up, if there is one.

Okay, something strange is happening on my end too. So I'll try to summarize what Jaco sent me.

The client has what appears to be an addiction to pain pills and it's extreme. He seemed to be pulling it together and actually hunted one day taking an eland. However the abuse of the meds continued and poor behavior as a result, including the client relieving himself onto a couch in his chalet.

Words have been exchanged and Jaco is trying to get him out and sent home.

There are more details, but doing a copy/paste from FB is not working for me.

Last edited:
Now for my own opinion on this. Jaco, I don't know if it's crossed your mind in trying to handle this situation. But from my perspective the mix of drug use and copious amounts of alcohol with high powered rifles around is making for a DANGEROUS situation.

Just my thoughts, but I think for your's and everyone else's safety it is time to involve the police service. This man should not be allowed access to his rifle(s) and needs to be deported back to the U.S. where hopefully his family can take care of him.

Clients. Can't live with them and can't live without them.
One thing you never see in the requirements to be a PH, is the necesity to have the patience of Job

I have seen bad behavior in hunting camps before, but mostly just arrogance, bad manners, etc. If I was in this camp with him I would expect the P.H. to lock up the guns and/or get him out of camp. The last thing anyone wants is someone's actions to cause loss of life or limb. Isn't there a place to check on your paperwork about medical issues, dietary restrictions, addictions, etc? Just keep safe, everyone!

Last edited:
Phil,

Maybe try copy and paste into a word document first and then to AH? Juse a thought....

Jaco,

Without knowing details I hate to even say anything, but if the guy runs out (or has) of drugs and is seriously addicted he could be a danger not only to himself, but everyone else. Getting someone official involved isn't a bad idea at all if it is that bad, and it sounds like it is. And at least here in the states you can get in legal trouble for enabling/serving someone like that.... good luck....

Just tried Uber for the first time. For those of you who may not have heard of it, it's a type of taxi service. What has this got to do with Jaco's problem?

Well, after my first trip I discovered that not only could I rate my driver, with his cumulative rating showing up before he would come to get me, but he could also rate me.

Might be an idea for PH's to get something like that put together. We know there are outfitters from hell and even the odd PH from the same place. But we need to acknowledge that clients cover the same waterfront.

Not knowing the complete situation I hesitate to say anything other than. Removing firearms and ammo from the client seems imperative.

Not sure if I would wish an individual to be locked up in a SA jail. Also not sure I would want a person in this condition to be on an airplane with me for 16 hours headed back to the USA. Kind of hard to drop him off at 10N40W.

I wish you the wisdom of Solomon.

Be safe my friend.

What a Nightmare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amparo8634

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.