Best Outfitter for Nyala Spot and Stalk?

SLR

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm looking for recommendations for outfitters with good nyala hunting. I am hoping for the best possible trophy, but would like it to be on a large tract of land. It would be with a bow, which I realize adds a level of difficulty. Not asking for a certain size guarantee or anything, but would love an honest chance at 27+ inch animal. Cost is a consideration for sure, but happy to spend a bit of money to ensure it's the right fit

Crusader safaris or any number of outfitters in Kwa-Zulu Natal.
Thanks I like the look of them. I had just barely got outbid on one of their hunts a few months ago, but I'm thinking it would be worth it at sticker price as well

Many of the Mozambique operators have excellent quality free range nyala. I can personally recommend Grant Taylor and Masambanzou Safaris. If taking one in its indigenous environment is important (along with a number of other interesting and unique plains game), Mozambique and Grant are a great choice. https://www.mashambanzousafaris.com/

As noted above, Kwa Zulu Natal is another great destination.
Free Range Mozambique Nyala

Blaser S2 Double Rifle

Are nyala the primary or best trophy from KwaZulu Natal? From what I am reading it seems like what they are best known for.

Are nyala the primary or best trophy from KwaZulu Natal? From what I am reading it seems like what they are best known for.

It is their home turf. Mozambique is certainly good geography too.

Check with Game4Africa in the east cape of South Africa which is a sponsor on here. My first aniaml I took with them was a nyala and we saw many. They have hosted archery hunters before as I have seen the pix. It would be worth the time to touch base with them

I'm looking for recommendations for outfitters with good nyala hunting. I am hoping for the best possible trophy, but would like it to be on a large tract of land. It would be with a bow, which I realize adds a level of difficulty. Not asking for a certain size guarantee or anything, but would love an honest chance at 27+ inch animal. Cost is a consideration for sure, but happy to spend a bit of money to ensure it's the right fit
Hi SLR, I have a Nyala population of 120+ on my own hunting land, and Nyala available on at least 15 x hunting concessions around me or withing close drive from my own hunting camp, so YES, no doubt we can put you onto a dream Nyala if wanted.....(1 hour's drive from Port Elizabeth Airport) East Cape, South Africa.....you are obviously most welcome to get in touch.

Makore safaris in Mozambique coutada 9. Just took a 31” in October, got close to big ones 2 or 3 times, 27 would be achievable there with a bow, it would take lots of focus and skill. You would want to do bushbuck there with a bow too.

IMG_4525.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @SLR,

As a life-long dedicated bowhunter, hunting a big mature nyala with a bow spot & stalk has been one of my dream hunts as well! I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take a really good one on my last safari with Limcroma Safaris.

bd96882d-dcb3-4a06-b399-63c07d752143.JPG

Limcroma specializes in accommodating bowhunters, and they are more than happy to spot & stalk for those hunters who have the patience and determination to hunt with a bow. It was one of the most challenging and fun hunts I have ever done, and I wouldn't have wanted to do it any other way!

If you would like to hunt huge "bow only" properties in a completely fair chase environment with experienced PH's who are all bowhunters themselves Limcroma is the place to get it done. Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have more questions about my hunt or planning a hunt for yourself.

I’d go with Tyrone Milne at Chumlet Safaris as I just hunted with him last month and if you want a pure free range spot and stalk he’d be the best I’ve hunted with. I hunted with Crusader Safaris and took a good one there almost 27” at Umkomass river camp, also free range. The reason I like Chumlet better is the terrain is more open, Umkomass much thicker vegetation. Either place gonna have a great hunt!
IMG_1048.jpeg
IMG_9436.jpeg

Top Crusader Safaris 26.75 and 7.5”bases bottom Tyrone Milne -Chumlet Safaris 28” and 8.5”.They’re close enough you could hunt both places for 5 days each and shoot two good ones!!!

Thanks for the quick answer. I have a trip to Eastern Cape with nyala as part of the package in June 2024.

Then have a great time hunting. Plenty of Nyala are hunted in the EC.

Love the Umkomaas River area. Took a nice Nyala there in the orange groves. Completely free range hunting, although the nyala were so thick it didn’t seem like it.

Thanks all, definitely leaning towards Crusader. Planning on reaching out to them for 2025 availability. I appreciate everyone's help!

If you would like to hunt huge "bow only" properties in a completely fair chase environment with experienced PH's who are all bowhunters themselves
In my view, this is critical. Whether hunting spot and stalk or from a blind, being guided by a Professional Hunter that is a bowhunter himself, should be non negotiable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTup

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.