Woodleigh Bullets - re-opening ?

And keep it in Australia.
We have lost too much of our manufacturing to outsourcing labour.

It would be nice if the company and production is viable and can remain in Australia. Doing our bit for the world.
@CBH Australia
It all comes down to money they could just acquire the machinery and the intellectual property rights.
Then where would we be.
Companies that size dont even need the machinery just the property rights.
Bob

And keep it in Australia.
We have lost too much of our manufacturing to outsourcing labour.

It would be nice if the company and production is viable and can remain in Australia. Doing our bit for the world.
Saddest thing they ever did, was close down Winchester Australia.

@Dr Ray
Easy just give Geoff or Shirley a call and get it straight from the horses mouth.
Last I heard from Geoff (Dec 2021) he was still working it out.
Bob
Australia can not afford to loose a another bullet maker like Woodleigh. May be the Chinese will buy it they own most of Australia now through corporate greed & deception:mad:

@sgt zim
To do all that at once you need a minimum of 5 hands. Shit I have enough trouble typing and putting an attachment on without trying to follow anything hold down the widows key + the shift key, then the mouse. Hell I ran out of hands after the shift key so I'm stonkered
once the 3 keys are pressed simultaneously, you can take your fingers off them and start working the mouse.

Not to be negative Nancy, but the fallout is wider than suspected.

for .318 and .425 Westley, very few alternatives exist. Same for a 240gr .30-06 or a 320gr .35 Whelen.

Then, Kynoch is sorta screwed and therefore all the British doubles for factory loads.

Federal lost 2 of 6 loads for all large bore calibers.

I suspect a few doubles are going to be re-regulated for Hornady factory ammo over this unfortunate woodleigh event.

I would also add that, even if they do reopen, the fact that everything will be produced on brand new machinery (which also need to be sourced) it might be a while or even never when they’ll be identical to previous bullets. In the best case, while getting to know their machinery, quality might also suffer for some time.

In any case, it will likely take years before they are back up and running producing all models and calibres of before.

@VertigoBE I'm not familiar with what they use or what's required.

In another thread there was something about old machinery that was damaged as the electric motors were stuffed but the equipment (presses,swaged whatever ) it could be turned over. That may mean the equipment could possibly be salvaged or reconditioned.
I think otherwise it's nearly irreplaceable being of on older type. I think the old style bullets are made on some fairly old or rare equipment.

Let's hope they can return to normal.

It will certainly stink if they cannot come back.

Hawk bullets will certainly benefit...it they can ramp up production.

The minute I heard about the fire I went online and bought the 350 bullets I could find in .308 and .375.

Not to be negative Nancy, but the fallout is wider than suspected.

for .318 and .425 Westley, very few alternatives exist. Same for a 240gr .30-06 or a 320gr .35 Whelen.

Then, Kynoch is sorta screwed and therefore all the British doubles for factory loads.

Federal lost 2 of 6 loads for all large bore calibers.

I suspect a few doubles are going to be re-regulated for Hornady factory ammo over this unfortunate woodleigh event.
Norma AH series also,and many fine doubles and others will suffer if Woodleigh truly goes away.

But .338 ,.358 ,.333 ,9,3 with 300-320 grain also.

8mm S 250 grain ,and numerose other fine medium ones.

Not to forget 11,2x72 Schűler

And the Black Powder Expresses.

@VertigoBE I'm not familiar with what they use or what's required.

In another thread there was something about old machinery that was damaged as the electric motors were stuffed but the equipment (presses,swaged whatever ) it could be turned over. That may mean the equipment could possibly be salvaged or reconditioned.
I think otherwise it's nearly irreplaceable being of on older type. I think the old style bullets are made on some fairly old or rare equipment.

Let's hope they can return to normal.

I don’t know how the fire grew, spread, or what temperatures happened versus just smoke and soot damage. However, I would suspect that a lot of stuff would have been annealed by being heated due to fire. Every hardened die in the place may have been completely ruined.

I don’t know the facts, just conjecture that it may be a much bigger job to reboot the company than getting machinery cleaned up and new motors installed. I sure hope it was a low temp fire that just soiled everything with soot. That can be overcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbyRigby0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you