Winchester XPR's in 338 Win Mag?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Yesterday I was at the nearby big box store, and they had eight "pre-owned" Winchester XPR's in their used rifle section; all in 338 Win. Mag, and priced between $499-549. I'm not familiar with the Winchester XPR; but upon initial inspection, it seems to be an entry-level value rifle made in the BACO plant in Portugal. It seemed a bit out of the ordinary for the store to have eight of the exact same "pre-owned" rifle, so I'm guessing they are "New, Old Stock" from somewhere(?).

Regardless, my take is that any hunt that warrants a 338 Win Mag cartridge would also warrant a little higher end rifle, right? I'm sure the XPR would probably function fine in most situations, but why risk a hunt of that level with a budget rifle in a magnum caliber? I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has had any field experience with the XPR's.
WinchesterXPRs.jpg

Last edited:
Depends. You go after big elk, big moose, bison, etc - you will be just fine. I assume your concern is with brown bear? There may be some who wouldn't take it brown bear hunting, but the reality is (in my opinion) a bolt action is going to jam due to user error as opposed to a factory flaw. The XPR is a well made rifle with the exception of the cheap magazine. I would just buy a spare and take it anywhere on this continent.

Its a rifle and a price you wouldn't cry over if it got rusty after a long week.

But 600 dollars is a substantial impulse buy. You can always pick up a couple other brands like Savage or the Browning AB3 for a similar price.

Last edited:
Depends. You go after big elk, big moose, bison, etc - you will be just fine. I assume your concern is with brown bear? There may be some who wouldn't take it brown bear hunting, but the reality is (in my opinion) a bolt action is going to jam due to user error as opposed to a factory flaw. The XPR is a well made rifle with the exception of the cheap magazine. I would just buy a spare and take it anywhere on this continent.

Its a rifle and a price you wouldn't cry over if it got rusty after a long week.

But 600 dollars is a substantial impulse buy. You can always pick up a couple other brands like Savage or the Browning AB3 for a similar price.
Yep; if I were gonna do a $600 impulse buy these days, it would more likely be something like a Tikka or Weatherby Vanguard.

I have one and i think it’s better than that, a little heavy for my taste.

I believe that for the money, you are getting a decent enough rifle.

Ive never owned one.. but every review Ive ever seen on one has been very positive.. accurate, beefy and robust compared to other entry level offerings from competitors... some options on them that other entry level rifles don't typically get (threaded barrel ready for a suppressor on many of them, etc)..

For a heavy PG rifle (eland, etc) I'd guess it would be an outstanding option.. probably great for elk, moose, etc as well if you're in the bigger/heavier camp for those critters (Im in the 30-06 is just about perfect camp)..

at the $500 price point I'd probably consider one if I were in the market for a .338...

I bought an XPR for my daughter in .243. We are very pleased with it, and I consider them a significant step up from other “entry” rifles like the Ruger American, Savage Axis, etc.

I think the price is okay, a .338 Win Mag will give a lot of recoil. It’s not a caliber in my mind for every day shooting. Great for eland, bear hunting in Alaska etc. but I have seen elk and smaller size game fall very fast to well placed 7mm Rem Mag. or similar sized round.

I would have probably grabbed one up, you can never have to many 338’s and at 500 bucks it would make a good truck gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!