Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
I'm not entirely certain this is absolutely the right category, but I thought it'd get the most looks here... but I don't think it's off into the weeds putting it here either.

I recently purchased my first 1895, after having it on my bucket list f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Mine is a Browning/Miroku in .30-06. I've done a lot of Google searching, and looked through different forums... What I want to know is, for those of you who have an 1895, what sight set-up works for you: as-is? A receiver sight? If so, which one? Did it require drilling to attach? Scoped (blasphemy, yes I know)? If you have ANY INSIGHTS at all, any advice, any photos to share... please do. Thank you in advance.

I am leaning towards a receiver sight, though I am open-minded. I live someplace remote enough that going down to the gun shop to have a hole or two drilled is not an option. And I do hope to hunt with mine someday.

I have had 3 of the Browning/Miroku 1895's. I put Williams receiver sights on all 3. All of the latest models (as far as I know) come drilled and tapped for the receiver sight.

May I ask which model? I think I read the FP 71... but it'd be great to hear from someone who has gone that route. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.08.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.08.43 PM.png
    859.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.08.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.08.46 PM.png
    355 KB · Views: 54
One of my 1895 .405s has a Williams receiver sight and the other is a safe queen with only factory sights. See hunting rifle below:
51985_600x400.jpg

The first owner had installed the receiver peep and shot pumpkins with it until he sold it to me so he could buy an expensive big bore pistol. The sight works well for me and has accounted for feral hogs, several deer, a Pronghorn, nilgai, and water buffalo here in the states and a warthog and buffalo in RSA.
Great hunting gun and my favorite big bore stalking rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hadn't noticed that before, but this one doesn't look like it needs any drilling - that forward hole on the receiver is already there. Pricey, but this just might be my huckleberry. Thanks man,

I don’t have an answer but that is great that you were able to pick up an 1895 and check it off your bucket list, I have one on my bucket list as well but won’t be checking it off for awhile. I know marbles arms near escanaba also makes a lot of receiver and peep sights for a variety of rifles that might be worth a look.

I hadn't noticed that before, but this one doesn't look like it needs any drilling - that forward hole on the receiver is already there. Pricey, but this just might be my huckleberry. Thanks man,
I think this is the one I’m going to put on my Turdy-Fordy Krag. The vintage Lyman sights are typically higher than this repro if you can find them. Very cool sight me thinks!

That does indeed look like one of the less intrusive options, in addition to looking cool and maybe practical. I'm hoping more folks chime in. I respect the wisdom of this site... I am interested to see/hear what has worked for folks.

I'm not entirely certain this is absolutely the right category, but I thought it'd get the most looks here... but I don't think it's off into the weeds putting it here either.

I recently purchased my first 1895, after having it on my bucket list f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Mine is a Browning/Miroku in .30-06. I've done a lot of Google searching, and looked through different forums... What I want to know is, for those of you who have an 1895, what sight set-up works for you: as-is? A receiver sight? If so, which one? Did it require drilling to attach? Scoped (blasphemy, yes I know)? If you have ANY INSIGHTS at all, any advice, any photos to share... please do. Thank you in advance.

I am leaning towards a receiver sight, though I am open-minded. I live someplace remote enough that going down to the gun shop to have a hole or two drilled is not an option. And I do hope to hunt with mine someday.
Sounds like you're having the same dilemma I had 25 years ago.

When Winchester re-released the new model 1895 I just had to have one. The only calibers available to me were 30/06 or 270. Naturally the 30/06 was the winner.

First thing I did was buy a Lyman peep sight for her. Second thing I did was shoot the rifle with the factory iron sights. :sneaky: Surprised the hell out of myself as to how well it shot.

The peeps have never been fitted. No need to....I have no problems putting 3 shots into 3 inches at 100 yards off the bench with the irons (most days). That is more than enough for me.

Considered replacing the steel but plate too. But didn't .....

In saying this I have never hunted with the rifle. It gets used occasionally in a "classic cartridge" competition. And we've never come last :ROFLMAO:

I just like the rifle. My dream is to one day take her to the North America for a pronghorn and maybe a whitetail and or mulie.

I reckon shoot her first....then decide. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg