Why Poachers Persist In Hunting Bushmeat - Even Though It’s Dangerous

Very good points. There is an excellent book “When Helping Hurts” that is a must read for anyone who aspires to humanitarian aid and third world development. You don’t have to go to Africa to see how much damage US ‘assistance’ can do. Take a quick trip to Port Au Prince and you will get the picture.

Reducing the fertility rate by giving people more opportunities will be a major boon to the crisis.

In total I’ve spent months in some of the worst slums in Africa. It is difficult to put yourself in their position and understand the choices they must make. It is absolutely mind boggling to actually spend time in these places and see the conditions that fellow human beings are forced to live in. It is easy to blame the governments for corruption and ineptitude. I agree completely. I am just pointing out that it is not an easy solution and many poachers could be making the same choice that we would make if we found ourselves in their position. To be clear, I don’t condone poaching.
Well said. I too have spent enough time in Africa and SE Asia to understand what poor really looks like. Compared to what many Americans call poor here.... not even comparable.

So basically we’re saying it just won’t go away. No matter what ideas we have. As I’ve said in another thread, I fear we just may be the last generation to hunt and enjoy Africa’s game fields.

i was going to make my sixth hunting trip to Africa this year, but my friend could not make it. so we are thinking of going this coming year in june 2019. I don,t think I,ll shoot much as I would like to go and spend time with some of my African friends I made over the years.i am glad I got to go to several african countries and hunt them and it saddens me to think it will end badly for the future hunters who may want to hunt in Africa.

It’s not hopeless but it requires recognition that it is a socioeconomic problem, not a purely criminal problem. It is further complicated by corrupt and inept governments. In my opinion Ron Thomson and Ivan Carter frame it up well. If you want to dig deeper, their work is worth the read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.