Who Is The Next Hemingway, Ruark?

I don't know if we've ran out of writers as much as we've run out of readers.
I keep reading that, but look st the book sales of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, C.J. Box and Craig Johnson to name a few. Readers are still out there but tastes have changed. Convincing people, especially younger people, to read books involving hunting is going to be a hard sell.

I don't know if we've ran out of writers as much as we've run out of readers.
Yep, some truth in that especially among most the youth with ADD, addicted to instant gratification through the rose lens and perpetual selfie party distortion of a cell phone 24-7. Forget interest in hunting, trapping, fishing or any kind of outdoor adventure, fact or fiction, no matter the author. Conversely, the most prolific hook and bullet writers today seem to be nothing more than formula based paint by the numbers enablers and travel guides. Dull gray wordsmiths pumping out popcorn dry flatulence- the absolute opposite of unique talents like Hemingway.

Last edited:
I would say Steve Rinella is the closest to the level of Hemingway/Capstick but not their equal. Hemingway was just built different

I disagree but I see the thought process. He spans a lot of interests. Hunting, fishing, wildlife survival, cooking, etc. He doesn't have that Hemingway bravado or sense of masculine adventurism, though. With that being said, I think that's why Steve has done so many great things for the sport. There are a lot of new hunters that are deterred from entering the sport due to that sort of "blood lust machismo mantra", whether it be true or not. "Dirt naps", "if it's brown it's down", etc, is not what he is about. That is where he has become such an ambassador for the sport. That's the reason Joe Rogan actually got into hunting. He felt like Steve really believed in what he did, believed in the lifestyle, and believed in it as a true sport.

I have a buddy who's a fisherman but (was) super against hunting. He watched his MeatEater show on Netflix and actually told me about it. He said he loved the show and actually could see himself going hunting at some point. I actually didn't know the show existed until he told me. I had not known about it prior. Steve is probably in at least some large percent responsible for the increase in license sales, especially amongst women, as he frequently has female hunters on the show. By and large, I think he's a great writer, a great personality, a true outdoorsman and a great ambassador for the sport.

But...he's no Hemingway or even Capstick.

I disagree but I see the thought process. He spans a lot of interests. Hunting, fishing, wildlife survival, cooking, etc. He doesn't have that Hemingway bravado or sense of masculine adventurism, though. With that being said, I think that's why Steve has done so many great things for the sport. There are a lot of new hunters that are deterred from entering the sport due to that sort of "blood lust machismo mantra", whether it be true or not. "Dirt naps", "if it's brown it's down", etc, is not what he is about. That is where he has become such an ambassador for the sport. That's the reason Joe Rogan actually got into hunting. He felt like Steve really believed in what he did, believed in the lifestyle, and believed in it as a true sport.

I have a buddy who's a fisherman but (was) super against hunting. He watched his MeatEater show on Netflix and actually told me about it. He said he loved the show and actually could see himself going hunting at some point. I actually didn't know the show existed until he told me. I had not known about it prior. Steve is probably in at least some large percent responsible for the increase in license sales, especially amongst women, as he frequently has female hunters on the show. By and large, I think he's a great writer, a great personality, a true outdoorsman and a great ambassador for the sport.

Yea definitely not Rinella

Has anyone mentioned Corbett ? No Hemingway, but a bloody great read.
Corbett’s ability to describe the setting was amazing. His description of the setting where he called the tigress to himself while perched on the rock was, in my imagination, the same as you find it at the location where it actually took place.

Yea definitely not Rinella

Great writer, but yes, agreed.

Also, he's pretty much said he is against African hunting or if I misheard, doesn't enjoy it. I personally think his view is off base but I haven't been yet. RSA for me in 30 days so I'll have more of an idea.

Great writer, but yes, agreed.

Also, he's pretty much said he is against African hunting or if I misheard, doesn't enjoy it. I personally think his view is off base but I haven't been yet. RSA for me in 30 days so I'll have more of an idea.
Yea he’s pretty off the wall on some things (I think that’s why he and Rogan get along so well, among others). Dare I say a little left leaning or pretty 21st century in his thinking and viewpoints. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Yea he’s pretty off the wall on some things (I think that’s why he and Rogan get along so well, among others). Dare I say a little left leaning or pretty 21st century in his thinking and viewpoints. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

He strikes me as catering to the "I only shoot 6.5CM on DIY public land, drink single origin organic fair trade coffee, and won't pull the trigger on anything less than 230 in." crowd.

Thanks so much. Anticipation is off the charts.

As mentioned the media has changed thus being a great writer is no longer a needed characteristic.

Telling a story... albeit on video/podcast etc, is what would be needed these days to influence a generation of hunters or more importantly the general public (much harder in these times and won't be getting any easier).

I can't believe Jim Shockey hasn't been mentioned. I think he single handedly changed the platform of successful hunting shows. He even laid out his model. I don't remember it exactly but it was something like 20% informational, 40% adventure and culture, and 20% hunting.

He has influenced my personal hunting career, much as others have noted Hemmingway and Ruark have done to the generations before. Unfortunately Mr. Shockey has begun to wind down his hunting career and his public visibility. He certainly has the bush credentials and story telling ability. Additionally, I think he has been successful in reaching the non-hunting public. He has the charisma to pull it off.

Check out the guys at Field Ethos, they have some
Good writers including Hemingway’s great grandson. You can also meet them at DSC.

one of our members here on AH, @pattesonfamily has written several articles for Field Ethos..

You might try getting your buddy to read Sue Tidwell's book, " Cries of the Savanna." It can be an eye opener for a non hunter or someone who's against hunting.

Is there anyone modern day who can step into these shoes? What made Hemingway was that he really was larger than life, he didn't act the part, he was the part. Craig Boddington?
LOL!

No. What “made Hemingway” is that, over time, what he wrote - both fiction & nonfiction - has established him as the greatest writer in the English language since Shakespeare. In between he went through four wives and also loved big game hunting, bullfighting, and miscellaneous blood sports, like boxing.

Boddington was a Marine (thank you for your service!), an international hunter, and quite frankly a mediocre writer of Guns & Ammo-type glossy magazine articles. He writes the same level of mediocre books.

He has a clunky “name-dropper” style of writing about cartridges in particular, where he’ll mention the cartridge without much depth or detail of discussion about its merits, unless maybe it’s one of his favorite.

I mean, Boddington’s prose isn’t horrible, but he’s way overrated and isn’t in the same universe as Hemingway.

Last edited:
While I thinks it's essential impossible to find someone to compare to Hemingway in general or Ruark for hunting specifically, a name that comes to mind is Jack Carr.

Jack Carr writes a fiction series about a former navy seal, but weaves hunting into almost everyone of his books. While the main topic is not hunting, the books are entertaining.

First one in the series is Terminal List, which was recently made into a mini series on Amazon prime.

Check them out Here

View attachment 526768

View attachment 526769
I agree. Carr is the closest candidate I can think of, in terms of someone having seen serious adventures and being a good writer. He probably wouldn't be considered "literary" by those who care about such things, but he writes well within the military thriller genre.

One distinction from some of the earlier writers is that Carr has settled down in terms of adventuring. After about 20 years in the SEALs, he made a deliberate choice to retire fairly young and pursue a career in writing, and to be with his wife and kids. But after 15+ years of deploying during the GWOT, he's got enough adventuresome experience to fuel a lifetime of writing.

I don't know him personally but from his interviews and how he presents himself on Instagram, I get the impression that Carr is a decent and humble guy.

I hope he continues to be successful so he can do more interesting hunting trips to inform his books. In addition to the western US, he has hunted Mozambique (and did a short contract there advising on tactics for counter-poaching) and brown bear in Kamchatca. He did these things specifically to know more about something he wanted to write about.

What a great topic! The point about times/society changing is so important here. I remember spending a week in high school English Lit class reading and discussing "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber." This was mid-1980's St Paul, MN. Having three boys that recently graduated high school, I can say there's no way public schools are teaching this any longer. That first exposure to Hemingway, via a great teacher who cared about the classics, put me on the path to an English Lit degree and an enduring appreciation of quality literature. Luckily, I never needed that specific degree to make a living :) . Terry Wieland is my favorite living author in our hunting genre. Some of his stuff is very specifically hardware review-oriented, but he always tells a good, sincere story based on experience. "Spiral Horn Dreams" and "The Magic of Big Game" are excellent along with (of course) "Dangerous Game Rifles." "View from a Tall Hill" about Ruark is also an excellent read. His monthly column in Gray's is about the only thing I look forward to reading on a regular basis.

I mean, Boddington’s prose isn’t horrible, but he’s way overrated and isn’t in the same universe as Hemingway.

The man can’t write without at least one ! per paragraph! It’s awful! Really!

I suppose his masterpiece will be: I had a Farm in . . . Kansas!

one of our members here on AH, @pattesonfamily has written several articles for Field Ethos..
Patterson's stuff is top notch. I've written two for the FE print editions and may have another coming up. They are very different than other magazine brands and are fun to write for because of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!