Which solid?

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Conventional wisdom states that when hunting Syncarus Caffer, the African cape buffalo that the first shot fired is a soft, in my case the 570 grain Swift A-Frame out of my Merkel .500 Nitro Express. What solid would you recommend for any required follow up shots?

Neither. Follow it up with another A Frame- "No. I want maximum tissue damage," is what my PH told me when I asked if I should put a solid in the left barrel of my 500.

The conventional wisdom was based upon the inferior softs of yesteryear.

What WAB said +1.

Neither. Follow it up with another A Frame- "No. I want maximum tissue damage," is what my PH told me when I asked if I should put a solid in the left barrel of my 500.

I always follow my PH’s advice. Some have wanted solids and some are happy with A-Frames. My personal preference is the same as yours but I always have a handful of solids along because you never know when a buff hunt may turn into an elephant hunt!

My preference is for Labor Fur Ballistik 570 grain flat nosed brass jacketed solid factory load .

Another A frame....no solids

Best of both worlds— north fork cupped point solids— every time I find something I really like, they quit making them

"Best of both worlds— north fork cupped point solids— every time I find something I really like, they quit making them"
Very good bullet. I shot water buff where PH buddy told me and the CPS bullet shot through both shoulders and the heart. Animal DRT before it hit the ground. I watched the head bounce when it hit the ground.
Landowner back in the trees said it was the first time he had seen a buff so obviously dead before it hit the ground.
I am now loading some NF 350 grain SS for my 45-70 DR that should be very effective at around 2000 fps MV.

This is exactly true. A frame or Barnes and keep shooting!

I've read the logic of a solid for the second shot. The buffalo I've met did not. They didn't run directly away or towards me, they stayed in the herd and presented broadside or angled second shots. With a solid, option A is a follow up shot through one into the next and option B is no follow up shot. I'll keep A few solids on my belt but it's softs in the magazine for me.

I'm no DG hunter but with the modern bonded and 100% copper expanding bullets I can't see why you would need a solid for buffalo. Again I'm only basing this on performance I've seen in pics and read in reports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaFairb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you