Which .375 rifle?

EPD1072

New member
Joined
Jan 2, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm planning to purchase a new rifle chambered in the classic 375 H&H. I'm looking at either a CZ 550 or a Weatherby Mark V. The rifle will be used for dangerous game as well as larger African and North American game. I'm a bit partial to the Weatherby because of owning another Mark V in 300 Wby mag. I've have heard good things about the CZ and it appears to always be in the running in other posts. Any experience, thoughts, or suggestions would be a great help. Thanks.
 
EDP1072

Welcome to the forum.

Out of the two rifle in your post IMO opinion the CZ is a better choice. First of all I am not a big fan of Weatherby. that is a personal choice and other will disagree.

I am assuming you are refering to this rifle:

CZ-USA -> CZ 550 American Safari Magnum


The CZ is a big stout double square bridge control round feed rifle. If in the future you want to upgrade to a bigger caliber it is a good platform to build just about any Dangerous Game cartridge all the way up to a .600 Overkill.

The drawbacks IMO are the trigger, the barrel is too long, there is no barrel band for the sling, and it is heavy for a .375.

I own a CZ in a 375 with the AHR #2 upgrades. The upgrades make it a very nice rifle with the exception of the weight. It shoots everytime and will feed flat nose solids with ease. I have taken mine to Africa twice and have carried it all day, but a pound and half lighter would make it almost the perfect rifle.

Another choice would be the new Winchester Model 70s. I have not shot one, but from all reports the new ones from Winchester are quite nice. The have a good trigger, CRF, barrel band, 3 position safety and come in about a pound lighter than the CZs.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535116

Good luck on your choice.
 
DOCMAN is right, The other threads pretty much have this covered and there is a lot of useful info on the topic of the 375. One thing I have noticed here is that in the world of DG hunting there are not many Weatherby fans. Most will agree that it is a fine PG rifle in whichever Weatherby caliber you choose (my PH had the 375 Weatherby) but, it was for PG. I personally could care less if a rifle is CRF or PF, but the CZ's are great rifles and very accurate and you get the CRF as a "bonus".

BTW, welcome to the forum.
 
Hi, welcome.

I think the CZ is a good choice because of the magazine capacity and general quality and ruggedness. I dont know the Weatherby, never owned or used one. I am impartial to the Win M70 Safari express because I have used both CZ and M70 in .375 for a while, and I prefer the M70.

Its been said you will get info regarding the .375 on this forum, rightly so, you are at the right place.

Enjoy the hunt!
I'm planning to purchase a new rifle chambered in the classic 375 H&H. I'm looking at either a CZ 550 or a Weatherby Mark V. The rifle will be used for dangerous game as well as larger African and North American game. I'm a bit partial to the Weatherby because of owning another Mark V in 300 Wby mag. I've have heard good things about the CZ and it appears to always be in the running in other posts. Any experience, thoughts, or suggestions would be a great help. Thanks.
 
I meant I am partial to the M70.
 
Docman has this one covered
 
I would suggest the Winchester 70 or CZ 550. I think the Weatherby could be a fine plains game gun, but not a great choice for dangerous game.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,338
Messages
1,573,297
Members
169,736
Latest member
FernKon189
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top