Where is still possible to hunt mammals with dogs?

Looks like in Finland it is legal to hunt moose with dogs. I think it is not the case in North America.

Does somebody know if it's possible to hunt in Africa (kudu, wildebeest, impala, blue duiker, blesbuck, warthog, reedbuck, buffalo, bushpig, springhare) with hounds?
It is legal all around Scandinavia, but with country specific laws and regulations. We hunt moose, deer, hares, birds, bears, foxes etc. with hounds, but almost always with only one specialized hound (with some exceptions). We do not use packs because it is not particularly effective and in most cases also not legal. Often in a pack of hounds only a few hounds hunt while the rest are just causing chaos. I would say that Scandinavian hunters are at the forefront of dog breeding and that dogs play a prominent role in hunting traditions over here.

Do you need to kill the rabbit with a shotgun, or can you use a greyhound (or a falconry) to do the job?

Mostly shotguns. Rimfire and shotgun are both legal. I usually take my .22mag and aim for the head when I go...I don’t like digging all the pellets out.

It is legal all around Scandinavia, but with country specific laws and regulations. We hunt moose, deer, hares, birds, bears, foxes etc. with hounds, but almost always with only one specialized hound (with some exceptions). We do not use packs because it is not particularly effective and in most cases also not legal. Often in a pack of hounds only a few hounds hunt while the rest are just causing chaos. I would say that Scandinavian hunters are at the forefront of dog breeding and that dogs play a prominent role in hunting traditions over here.
What hounds do you usually use? Norwegian elkhound?

Dogs on hogs in Oklahoma and Texas also. I regularly hunt hogs at The Boars Nest hunting preserve in Oklahoma just north of the Red River. The owner trains dogs and runs bears for fun in southeast OK; does not kill the bears, just trees them and calls off the dogs. Sort of like chasing coons. The Boars Nest hogs run around 300 pounds when treed in the trophy pasture. In the walk and stalk pasture for eating hogs they run 100 to 200 pounds. Here is a typical piggie treed in a flooded creek an shot at arms reach with my 45-70 double rifle:

55185_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, on that great picture of a treed Cougar. In the past month, hunters have killed two within 15 miles of our farm. Two others have been seen in other nearby areas. Something has them on the move right now.

A quickie for you hunters - who has heard a cougar scream to run deer from cover?
Who has heard one purr while eating and crushing bones with its teeth?

Too bad - those sounds really add to the outdoor experience! And make you look over your shoulder walking in at dark.

Here’s a neat YouTube clip, looks like a bushpig hunt with dogs that turned into a kudu hunt by accident.
Another hunt that isn’t on list is a Monteria in Spain. They will use a large amount of dogs to push a property to hunters who will shoot a set personal quota of stags, hinds, boars, etc

Dogs on hogs in Oklahoma and Texas also. I regularly hunt hogs at The Boars Nest hunting preserve in Oklahoma just north of the Red River. The owner trains dogs and runs bears for fun in southeast OK; does not kill the bears, just trees them and calls off the dogs. Sort of like chasing coons. The Boars Nest hogs run around 300 pounds when treed in the trophy pasture. In the walk and stalk pasture for eating hogs they run 100 to 200 pounds. Here is a typical piggie treed in a flooded creek an shot at arms reach with my 45-70 double rifle:
Where exactly is the boar’s nest?

We used to hunt hogs with dogs a lot in middle and high school. My brother was always into it more than me. We would rarely kill them outright, usually we would sell them, it was ok to transport them back then and if IIRC they recently made transportation of feral hogs illegal in Oklahoma; could be wrong though, or keep them to train dogs with. I only went coon hunting with dogs a few times and from what I’ve seen I believe interest has fallen off in the last generation at least in my area and IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear, coon, rabbit, squirrel, coyote, fox, bobcat for mammals as well as wild turkey here in west Virginia are dog hunted. Also utilizing a trained blood-trail dog for wounded deer is awesome to watch in action.

In much of eastern North Carolina, dogs are commonly used for treeing squirrels, hunting rabbits, hunting raccoons, black bear, wild hogs, and deer. The dogs ordinarily do not catch the animals; they only chase them into range of the hunters. Well, sometimes they do. Lots of times they just chase them, and the hunters say, "Well, that was a good chase. Lots of hound music. What a nice day." Been there, done all that. Then we spend much of the rest of the night rounding up the dogs, and then we go have a drink. Mostly I only still hunt now.

You can hunt deer with dogs in parts of North Carolina. Hunting hogs with dogs is great. Baying hounds to find them, catch dogs to hold them, and finish them off with a spear or if you are so inclined a knife. I suppose you could use a gun but that’s a little hard on the dogs hearing.

Wishful thinker. Boars Nest is on west side of Calera, OK, a small town on the west side H75 North.

About a 90 minute drive from my farm in Texas.

Which breeds do you use?

Beautiful cat, by the way.
Thanks. I have a mix of a few. Plott/English redtick, English redtick and a Walker. I am not really into a certain breed and just care if they go and tree stuff

Wishful thinker. Boars Nest is on west side of Calera, OK, a small town on the west side H75 North.

About a 90 minute drive from my farm in Texas.
Thank you sir. I was curious. I’m about 1.5 hrs away from Calera as well.

Thanks. I have a mix of a few. Plott/English redtick, English redtick and a Walker. I am not really into a certain breed and just care if they go and tree stuff
Yeah, if it gets the job done, the breed doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
And what kind of animal can be hunted?

Not pointers or setters, but scent hounds like beagle, foxhound, bloodhound and sighthounds like greyhound and saluki or bay dogs like rhodesian ridgeback.
You must be more specific. You can hunt many animals with dogs all over the world. What do you want to hunt? Where?
Philip

I'm curious about antelopes and bovines in Africa, is it possible?
No I don’t think so. I’ve heard it discussed but it seems it’s considered unethical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross