What gun do Professional Hunters like to use?

Ok, boys (and gals), the question what gun PH's use, is no longer a mistery.

They run a research on that and published an investigative article in next issue of Gun digest 2022.

So here is the inventory of rifles of most renown professional hunters.
458 win mag is most common, as it looks like.

Sorry for blurred pictures but this is best I could do. It is still readable.

(unfortunately there is no more function for forum member to enlarge photos, as if was before on previous forum setting when attaching them to post - or maybe I am just missing something :E Shrug: )

I think the 458 Win might simply be because of the availability of ammo.

I think the 458 Win might simply be because of the availability of ammo.
This is exactly what our PH told us. Availability and price.

He said that 416RM, 404J, 458LOTT (not to mention all the flanged NE calibers) were all at least 50% more expensive...if you could find them.

Yip price unfortuanately and not performance ....but then again most of them know where to shoot what, which helps....

@Kevin Peacocke

Obviously those are stopping guns. For example Harry Selby and his 416 rigby.
Rental guns are something else.

(unfortunately there is no more function for forum member to enlarge photos, as if was before on previous forum setting when attaching them to post - or maybe I am just missing something :E Shrug: )
Photos can still be fully displayed within a post.

Hi jerome, is it automatically, or is there a function to start this feature?

I use a 500 Jeff and do not mind the premium for ammo as the assurance that comes with it is not negotiable. Some of the bigger bores ammo is just not availible in certain countries period....so use what you have thats it

My PH for all of my African hunts in Kenya and Tanzania was David Williams and he carried a William Evans .470 NE, which he was not terribly effective in using. De mortibus nihil nisi bonum.

Hi jerome, is it automatically, or is there a function to start this feature?
It's all built in so all functions are available to you. To have access to all of the editing functions first make sure to click on your "Toggle BB code" so that all of your editor buttons are on.

This is what it looks like without the editor mode on:
toggle-bb-code-01.jpg

This is what it looks like with the editor mode on. The red arrow with "CLICK HERE" on it is to show you where the [ ] Toggle BB code is located as this is the button to click on to change the editor mode.
toggle-bb-code-02.jpg

Got it!
Thanks!

I use a 500 Jeff and do not mind the premium for ammo as the assurance that comes with it is not negotiable. Some of the bigger bores ammo is just not availible in certain countries period....so use what you have thats it
Do you handload? I know in some countries it’s not an option.

Ok, boys (and gals), the question what gun PH's use, is no longer a mistery.

They run a research on that and published an investigative article in next issue of Gun digest 2022.

So here is the inventory of rifles of most renown professional hunters.
458 win mag is most common, as it looks like.

Sorry for blurred pictures but this is best I could do. It is still readable.

View attachment 431085View attachment 431086View attachment 431087View attachment 431088
When I hunted with Joe Cheffings in 1974, his .458 Winchester Magnum was a B.S.A Majestic. Not a Winchester Model 70. Also Finn Aagaard’s .458 Winchester Magnum was a re-barreled Westley Richards Mauser 98 ( which was originally a .425 Westley Richards ). He only acquired a push feed Winchester Model 70 ( in .458 Winchester Magnum ) after he moved out of Africa.

Ruger Magnum 416 Rigby
Weatherby DG 460W
CZ 458 Lott
FN 98 375H&H
CZ 416 Rigby
Win M70 416 Remington
SXS Spanish 577NE

Where did they get 500 H&H for Tony Seth-Smith? To the best of my knowledge he only ever used a RIgby 450 NE Double (that now has a second set of barrels in 458 Win mag. I've held it. His mom gave it to him.

And they missed Brian Herne - he used a 458 on a Mauser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois