Wanted 70 lb Elephant

My relating of my experience in Kenya failed to mention the previous two weeks spent on the banks of the Tsavo River near the border with Sudan. They were spent driving down the dry river bed, looking for the few water holes left for the elephants to congregate at. When we came to such a hole, invariably deserted, we dismounted the vehicle and started analyzing the tracks. If we found promising ones, like the ones described above, we would shoulder our gear and start out afoot.

Unfortunately, when we finally caught up with the elephants, they were invariably big ones with small ivory and we still had the treck back to the vehicle before us. I felt as though I had "paid my dues" several times over when luck put us on the spoor of the one tusker I eventually took. When I say "small" ivory, I meant to say no larger than the pair I already had taken.

On one occasion I had been given the "go ahead" by my PH and was sighting in on the elephant, when my guide stopped me, claiming that closer inspection revealed to ivory to be no larger than what I already had. At that point, I was hot and tired enough to no longer care, but I appreciated his intervention later when the old fellow with only one tusk materialized.

@ Hitman,
has something happend on ele hunting now ,or booking?

@ Hitman,
has something happend on ele hunting now ,or booking?

Sorry Foxi,
I’m not sure what you’re asking?

HH

Is the topic still relevant for you, or have you given up on it?
Your thread is 16 months old. Normally, a lot of things happen in that time.
It would be a pity, I was looking forward to your report

No problem at all. I had an excellent adventure and posted it on here under the title:

BOTSWANA: Botswana Or Bust

HH

Zimbabwe has the possibility of 100 pound elephant in the Gonarezhou area but lets be realistic, 50 to 65 would be a decent trophy in that area. I have personally seen 40 + elephant in the 60-80 category in and around Gonarezhou. I have seen 1 maybe 80-90 pounder and a photo of a 100-110 pounder.Those guys do venture out of the park but lets be real-you would have to be lucky. Save conservancy had a 100 lb monster shot on PAC about 3 years ago,just outside the conservancy borders. Hwange side would be down to around 40-55 pound and Zambezi Valley less. Currently Botswana seems to be better bet. Zim is my home and I root for the home team- it is possible to find a 70 Lb but I would bet on Botswana.
Realizing this is an older thread, but Nhoro is very knowledgeable in this topic. What do you feel is a realistic potential in the Matetsi units, and is the early season as productive as late season prior to the rains?

Botswana is the best bet......

Realizing this is an older thread, but Nhoro is very knowledgeable in this topic. What do you feel is a realistic potential in the Matetsi units, and is the early season as productive as late season prior to the rains?
Matetsi has potential for Botswana Ellie to some across. I would talk to outfitters that operate there, I wouldn't rank it as a prime area and would say it is pretty variable. Our seasons in Zim have been very variable and predictions are difficult. I would say 40- 55 pounds would be a trophy in matetsi with a chance at something bigger.

I don't understand the obsession with chasing a specific trophy size "70 lb elephant"

As one of the guys who taught me elephant hunting said - "you need to fall in love with a bull before you take him".

My first bull was 75 lb, but I don't really treasure that hunt. I saw him at a waterhole in the morning, went to go get the scout and my rifle, and late that afternoon we found him not far away and I shot him. His tusks are fantastic, and the casts are in my living room, but it was not much of a hunt.

My most treasured was a Giant I took on day 15 of a 7 day hunt in NG 2, right next to the Namibian border. Old smooth feet, his ears floppy and his skin hang from his backside like pants in a old man. I really can't remember how heavy is tusks was. 40 - 50 lb? Dont know. Don't care. That was a incredible hunt we're we eventually ended up sleaping under the stars for several nights a hundred kilometres from our main camp, having hunted ourselves to a point near exhaustion.

Congratulations on your hunts @Piet-Vis. I choose to challenge myself occasionally to a standard or go home empty handed. I tell everyone to hunt with their own goals in mind and don’t try and judge them.

When I asked the question it was with that in mind. I was fortunate to be able to achieve this goal.

HH

That was a incredible hunt we're we eventually ended up sleaping under the stars for several nights a hundred kilometres from our main camp, having hunted ourselves to a point near exhaustion.

I'd love to hunt an elephant in those conditions. What country/outfitter did you have this experience with?

Botswana. I'm a local. Real old school resident hunt. I don't think it is possible with a professional outfit, although I'm certain you will get it if you asked?
I'll keep it in mind that this is also a possibility, when I start contacting outfitters. Thanks for the idea.

Hello
Contacts for Nixon Dzingai. Please send

Planning hunt in 2025…

RG

Hello
Contacts for Nixon Dzingai. Please send

Planning hunt in 2025…

RG

Not to be rude but how about you telling us a little about yourself so we can get an idea what your referral means.

HH

An introduction to yourself is usually a better way to enter a forum. A first post with a reference is probably worth following up on, but not get excited about.
Bruce

Ok sorry
Scandinavian. Been hunting all my life, on the path to the Big 7. But want my second elephant to be BIG and exportable. Not in to the easy hunting - prefer hard work and close hunting. Use my Krieghoff 470
Ne.

Love Africa and I go there allmost every year. Never been to the best areas in Zimbabwe- would love to go there.

At home I hunt with my dogs. Wild boars and deer .

RG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.