Victoria Falls Water Levels

Didn't think you had beach front property. Sell fast.

Some interesting rock features.... Not sure bout beach front....but beautiful place

That it is !

I'm explaining to Nancy why we should summer at the lake and winter at Takeri. :cool:

"This year (2020) we're going to have probably the biggest flood recorded from 1969 and the third biggest ever recorded here," Lane said. "This year is going to be massive. There's going to be so much water flowing over the falls."

https://www.accuweather.com/en/seve...rs-again-after-stark-dry-season-photos/720151

Victoria Falls thunders once again after dry season photos shocked tourists
By Lauren Fox, AccuWeather staff writer

Updated Apr. 22, 2020 3:37 PM

After photos from Victoria Falls amid its dry season caused great concern in December, the magnificent falls are stronger than ever.

Victoria Falls, located at the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe on the Zambezi River, is not only one of the seven wonders of the world and classified as the biggest waterfall in the world, but it is also a tourist destination that allows the economies of both African countries to thrive.

The Kololo tribe, which resided in the area in the 1800s, named the falls "Mosi-oa-Tunya," meaning "the smoke that thunders." Both the indigenous name and the name Victoria Falls, given by Scottish explorer David Livingstone, are recognized officially.

AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Jim Andrews said the climate of the upper Zambezi River watershed is tropical, seasonal and continental, with "sharply distinct" wet and dry seasons.

GettyImages-180648882.jpg

Sunrise breaks above the raging Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, in this photo from recent years. (Ben Mcrae / Getty Images)

"In the Southern Summer, when the sun [is] overhead or even farther south, seasonal rains are in full swing," he said. This time is sometimes called the "northwest monsoon," Andrews continued, "as surface winds tend to blow from this direction."

"April to May marks the transition from wet to dry as the Southern Hemisphere awaits the onset of winter," Andrews explained. "It is a time in which dry air builds northward, drying out seasonal vegetation and turning the earth surface to dust." Rain, he said, can be rare until September or even October.

Trevor Lane, a conservationist that works for Bhejane Trust, lives in Victoria Falls. He said this year's rainy season, which goes from November to June or mid-April, will be the third-heaviest in recorded history, dating back to the 1960s.

On March 27, 2020, the water at Victoria Falls was recorded to be flowing 3,890 cubic meters per second, according to the Zambezi River Authority. In comparison, on March 27 of last year, the water was reported to be flowing 800 cubic meters per second. The long-term average flow for the falls around this date is 2,522 cubic meters per second, meaning the flow on March 27 was 54% above the long-term average and flourishing this year.

According to Zambia Tourism, visiting the falls during the dry season will not provide the expected waterfall experience, as some parts have no water falling at all, and other parts are diminished to a trickle. However, the dry season does have its perks for visitors -- the views of the cliffs.

GettyImages-944422086.jpg

Victoria Falls (aka Mosi-oa-Tunya - The Smoke that Thunders) down to a trickle during a recent dry season. (Goddard_Photography / Getty Images)

The months of March and April are when the waterfall reaches its peak. During the peak, there is so much spray from the strength of the water shooting up into the air that it cannot all be seen on foot, and is better viewed from the air.

"It's a spectacular power. The power of the water going over is unbelievable," Lane said.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FREE ACCUWEATHER APP

After rain falls, the water fills the Barotse Floodplain, the second-largest wetland in Zambia, before pouring over into the famous falls. Because of this process of the Barotse being filled up, the falls are able to flow even when the rain stops. November and December, when the rain starts back up again, is when the water pouring from the falls is at its lowest point. Even at its lowest point though, the flow does not stop.

The water flowed at 349 cubic meters per second in January this year, during the falls' dry season. Last year, Lane said the falls had the second-lowest recorded flow, following the lowest on record in 1995-96.

"This year we're going to have probably the biggest flood recorded from 1969 and the third biggest ever recorded here," Lane said. "This year is going to be massive. There's going to be so much water flowing over the falls."

The biggest recorded flood at the falls was from 1958 and was around 10,000 cubic meters per second.

Lane said flooding season is typically the best time for tourists to see the falls, but due to the intense nature of this season, the spray from the water may be too much. Lane lives 3 kilometers from the falls, and his windows rattle at night due to the vibrations of the water.

"You get this huge cloud of spray rising above the falls," Lane said. "Sometimes there's just too much water you can't see anything."

GettyImages-145243802.jpg

Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, seen in all its majesty in a photo from recent years. (Jacynthroode / Getty Images)

While the falls will flourish during this time in a way that would normally attract many tourists, there will be almost no one around to witness the majesty due to COVID-19.

"We've got this major, major flood coming in and there's no one in town," Lane said. "There are no tourists who will witness it."

The lack of tourism has also allowed wildlife to roam back into town, and while Lane said seeing animals in town was not uncommon before, elephants, lions or hippos walking through town has become even more commonplace as the tourists have stayed out.

Attachments

• GettyImages-180648882.jpg
    GettyImages-180648882.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 35
  • GettyImages-944422086.jpg
    GettyImages-944422086.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 33
  • GettyImages-145243802.jpg
    GettyImages-145243802.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 29

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristelEn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double