USA: First Fenced Hunt

HankBuck's thought of using an old firearm on a fenced hunt is great....I did that a couple years ago when I hunted an old Bison bull in Oklahoma. He was past his breeding time and needed to go so I filled my freezer and several others' freezers with Bison. I went old-school on the rifle....used a Remington Hepburn No. 3 in 45-70 and a period 4X scope.
View attachment 558747
Is that one of the C sharps produced Hepburns? Or a restored original? Either way awesome rifle! I’m in the process of restoring an 1885 Hepburn in .50-110 express.

I just booked my first fenced hunt. I’m in Ohio and one of the places a few hours away posted some ram hunts for a discounted rate. I called and now I’m hunting a black Hawaiian Ram at the end of the month. Not sure what to expect but I’m looking forward to the experience and to see how I feel about fences . I’ve already started looking at recipes for a stronger flavored meat and I think some curries are in order . Any advice or things I should know ? I’ll do a report once I get back
If you don’t me askin what outfit are you goin through?

Like others have said your high fence ram hunt should not be a yardstick for African farm hunts.
Most HF hunts in the US with the exception of some are being done in small enclosures/subdivided areas to increase the odds of shooting. In most cases I would call it shooting and not necessarily hunting, because outcome is known and certain.
I've been in game farms in Africa going after a specific animal and it took us days to find them let alone shoot one.

I just think it should be noted. You can use this to make a decision about hunting behind fences on smaller preserves in the US, but it’s not really a comparison at all to fences in South Africa or Namibia. See what you think, but keep in mind it’s not comparable.
No one will be selling you extra jabs there! ;) lol

I just booked my first fenced hunt. I’m in Ohio and one of the places a few hours away posted some ram hunts for a discounted rate. I called and now I’m hunting a black Hawaiian Ram at the end of the month. Not sure what to expect but I’m looking forward to the experience and to see how I feel about fences . I’ve already started looking at recipes for a stronger flavored meat and I think some curries are in order . Any advice or things I should know ? I’ll do a report once I get back
Split the meat w/ your local DD and they'll hook you up w/ recipes!!! lol There are many 30,000 ac+ game farms/game ranches in RSA, some in Namib, even Zim, but there are many species that don't even jump a low fence, but some that'd escape from high. With the property/concession sizes in Africa, you'll cover quite some distance prior to seeing a fence! At one camp in the Limpopo, where leopard were abundant, there was a serious electric fence around the entire camp to keep their preferred foods (warthog, impala, baboon, monkeys, etc.) out!

I took my son on a high fence hunt in Eagle Pass, Texas a number of years ago, the place was about 1500 acres, give or take a little. At least half of the property was covered in blackbrush (I believe it's in the acacia family, covered in thorns). There were rams and pigs we could have easily shot, but we wanted to hunt, so we did. I got a nice Corsican and my son got a nice Texas Dall, both in the blackbrush.

We had fun, good father-son time. Shots were pretty close, but the rams were fairly wild. No time for sticks in that country - be ready for a snapshot.

20151121_102707.jpg

20151120_134135.jpg

So if I may offer up my favorite recipe For goats, sheep and even a southern Arizona Javalina!
1.Brine in a solution of water, spices and green chilies for 24 hours!
2. Soak in butter milk for an additional 12 hours.
3. Soak a cedar plank, like you would use for salmon. Soak to complete saturation!
4. Cover your cut of meat in spices such as Tony’s or Alpine touch,
5. Place in the oven at 350 for 2 hours.
6. Pullout of the oven, throw the meat away and eat the cedar plank!
Bon Appetite and enjoy your hunt, it will be fun as long as you want it to be!

What state is this place in? Just curious if it is in Tennessee

I’ve done 3 Ram hunts in Texas. One with my nephew and he had a great time but definitely wasn’t a hunt. Other alone but used grandfathers model 99 and last year with my wife using my bow. We have our fill and won’t be doing it again unless I take a youth hunter. Now audad in west Texas is on bucket list but totally different hunt.

No animal in africa let me get within my comfortable bow range on spot and stalk. I could have stabbed a few rams/goats in high fence Texas hunts. We just decided to chase the most “wild” ones

We turned everything into sausages and taste good to me…

I’ve done 3 Ram hunts in Texas. One with my nephew and he had a great time but definitely wasn’t a hunt. Other alone but used grandfathers model 99 and last year with my wife using my bow. We have our fill and won’t be doing it again unless I take a youth hunter. Now audad in west Texas is on bucket list but totally different hunt.

No animal in africa let me get within my comfortable bow range on spot and stalk. I could have stabbed a few rams/goats in high fence Texas hunts. We just decided to chase the most “wild” ones

We turned everything into sausages and taste good to me…
Free range Aoudad ram in West TX is almost impossible with a bow unless you get lucky and kill one at the protein feeders.

What state is this place in? Just curious if it is in Tennessee
Yeah it’s south east Ohio . I did look at hog hunts in Tennessee but they were a bit steep for me . I’m getting married and do some home improvements before I start saving for africa

Yeah it’s south east Ohio . I did look at hog hunts in Tennessee but they were a bit steep for me . I’m getting married and do some home improvements before I start saving for africa
Save for Africa.
Don't waste your money here for this kind of hunts.

One other FYI. There are places here in the US that are more acres than some high fences in Africa. It all comes down to your attitude. Some decide before they even go on a hunt they are going to have a bad time. That is their problem. Kind of like judging someone for using one caliber over another or bow hunters looking down their noses at gun hunters. Enjoy it for what it is. It is your hunt not theirs...JMO

Last edited:
One other FYI. There are places here in the US that are more acres than some high fences in Africa. It all comes down to your attitude. Some decide before they even go on a hunt they are going to have a bad time. That is their problem. Kind of like judging someone for using one caliber over another or bow hunters looking down their noses at gun hunters. Enjoy it for what it is. It is your hunt not theirs..
Most of the big ranches in US are unfenced or low fenced.
King Ranch, Kennedy, Turner owned ranches etc...
There are very few HF ranches here comparable to the HF ranches in Africa and most of them have sections and not one perimeter fence.
Also in Africa most animals behind fences are native to the area and some species like warthogs, cats and monkeys can't be contained.
There's no comparison really and it's not about the attitude.

Most of the big ranches in US are unfenced or low fenced.
King Ranch, Kennedy, Turner owned ranches etc...
There are very few HF ranches here comparable to the HF ranches in Africa and most of them have sections and not one perimeter fence.
Also in Africa most animals behind fences are native to the area and some species like warthogs, cats and monkeys can't be contained.
There's no comparison really and it's not about the attitude.
I think I’d prefer the King Ranch if I were spending that type of $$ ($15,000-$20,000)for a whitetail hunt. I believe that B&C will recognize trophy’s taken on King Ranch and a low fence does not restrict whitetail movement, especially where baiting is legal (believe Texas allows bait). Some of the top High Fence whitetail operations also charge $15000+ for 200”-300” bucks but only SCI will acknowledge them (Pope & Young, B&C only accept free range). My friend took a huge buck at Sanctuary Ranch in MI and he was pleased with the overall experience and how well run the operation was - it was similar to wild deer hunting but with many more opportunities and many more Big whitetail. Still, it is a High Fence and you see that when you drive in and occasionally when inside the property, the Fence is the most critical part of the operation and keeps the deer from drifting off the property and getting shot by other hunters. Whitetail bucks usually have a home range under 2500 acres ( even 500-1000 acres) but during the Rut can roam over much greater areas looking to breed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeroldBonn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.