USA: Black Bear San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation Arizona

TakeMeLord

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Just returned from Guided Black Bear hunt on the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation. My Guide was Trevor Chapman, an Apache Indian who lives on the Reservation. We stayed in a large tent during hunt. We hunted a day and a half. All we needed. First day saw half a dozen bears. Finished by noon on second day. Killed a mature black bear with a white chest crest. Trevor offers 3 day hunts and 5 day hunts. Baiting is not allowed on San Carlos. Hunts were very reasonably priced. Call him at 928-961-1793. He charges different rates depending on services offered, such as meals, etc.

The San Carlos is approx 2 million acres.

I like him. I recommend him.

I will TRY to post pics.... and a video of actual kill. Trevor filmed the actual kill with his cell phone and a commercial adapter attached to his binoculars mounted on a tripod.

facebook bear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice bear. How was the hunt conducted? Did you drive roads and glass? Or walk ridges or creeks? Or a different method?

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on your successful hunt. Great job, TheGrayRider.

He knew where the bears were. First morning we were on chosen spot before sunrise. Then drove roads. Then sat and glassed. Dale

LOVE A GOOD BEAR HUNT IN AZ. SPOT AND STALK OR HOUNDS. CONGRATS ON A NICE BEAR!

Did he have a good coat? I have seen some fall NM bears that were pretty rough- his looks good in the pics - congrats

Have hunted San Carlos a couple times. Always a good experience. Congrats on your bear!

That’s a cool part of the state, congratulations.

How is the Coues hunting on San Carlos?

IIRC correctly, it’s too much pine forest (granted I have seen them north of Payson). It’s really elk country, but I’ll gladly be corrected by folks who’ve hunted there more. Also, the “Apache Buck” is supposedly from the San Carlos.

I mostly hunted SE and around Greer.

From the Fish & Game regs:
1697917022837.png

San Carlos is on the Center-right of the state

Last edited:

IIRC correctly, it’s too much pine forest (granted I have seen them north of Payson). It’s really elk country, but I’ll gladly be corrected by folks who’ve hunted there more. Also, the “Apache Buck” is supposedly from the San Carlos.

I mostly hunted SE and around Greer.

From the Fish & Game regs:
View attachment 565132
San Carlos is on the Center-right of the state
There’s plenty of coues deer in San Carlos. Though at this point there are coues deer living in downtown Mesa so they’re basically everywhere south of I-40

Well done and nice bear!

I may give him a call; have been wanting to harvest a bear, and his location would make it much easier to bring my nephew along on the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaida88net

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.