Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Love it, but it's too expensive

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • On the fence, could go either way

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Not worth the price at all, I'll stick with what I'm using

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters
A former neighbor of mine moved to the western edge of Virginia to a beautiful farm. His family have been inviting myself and my friend (know to the internet world as IGS) out for spring turkey for the last few years. To help repay his kindness and invest in our mutual hunting future, we offered to drive out for a working weekend.

The plan was to arrive on Friday and scope things out, cut in some trails on Friday and Saturday. Then maybe we would have time on Sunday to do some pattern testing of our shotguns and have some fun before driving home.

Friday went better than expected and we got a lot of the trails cleared up and started to cut in another one. Before it got dark we headed for the guest house. Once inside IGS hears some honking...I hear it too! We turn and look at each other and simultaneously run for the door. Geese are landing on our friends pond!

A plan is hatched. The pond is about 200 yards long and 50 yards wide. Tall trees cover three sides of the pond, but there is a marshy area on one end that is 50 yards wide. We figure that if the geese are still on the pond in the morning we can have a chance to take them. IGS will go to one side and I'll be on the other. They should take off towards the marsh and offer a passing shot.

I guess it's good that I was thinking ahead and packed some Federal Black Cloud TSS BB/7 loads, not to mention our migratory bird licenses and stamps. This is one of the many reasons I make packing lists. They work!

We have a few drinks that evening and some of the guys who are hanging out think we are crazy. One of them said that if we get any, he would happily take the meat. IGS and I hit the sack dreaming about sky blasting geese.

It's 3am on Saturday morning and I'm wide awake...can't sleep. All I can think about is geese. As quietly as I can, I get up and make coffee around 5:30. IGS gets up around 6 and joins me. Sunrise isn't too far off but it's still dark outside when we hear a couple of geese who took off. Unusual for geese to fly before daybreak but it happens. We begin to wonder if any geese will be there.

Well you can't get them from the couch. A half hour before daybreak we leave the house and head in separate directions. I have about 4x the amount of ground to cover that IGS does so I have a pretty quick pace going. We had agreed to text each other when we got into position. I'm in position...no signal. Yep, we are in the sticks with no mobile coverage. Damn it.

I hear the geese on the water and they are alerting. Soft honks, but I still can't see them. I peek around the tall briar and they are swimming away from me...directly towards where IGS is suppose to be. I hope he's able to take a shot. He should be able to see them by now. I walk out from the briars so the geese will go even closer to IGS. It looks like this plan is coming together as I approach the bottom of the marsh.

All of a sudden the geese turn and fly directly towards me to take off. They are favoring the edge of the pond away from me, but it's looking good. The safety comes off as I mount the shotgun. BANG...BANG...BANG and I'm empty.

1707166166595.png

Three birds fall stone dead from the sky. These were passing shots at ~40 yards. The first as they approached, the second at 90 degrees and the third as it flew away.

Unfortunately IGS wasn't able to hear the geese coming towards him because the damn he was hiding behind was blocking the sound. The only thing he heard was them taking off and then my shots.

This was my recipe. Benelli SBE3 with 28" barrel and Carlson's Federal Black Cloud Long Range (FULL) choke. Load was 3" Federal Black Cloud TSS BB/7. I've been shooting this combination with great success on waterfowl.

Now this isn't a pattern test and I'm well aware of that. It is however, real world experience that TSS and a well patterning shotgun make for a deadly combination in the hands of the right shooter. I will not speculate if this shot was possible steel, bismuth or some other lead substitute.

Just to finish the story. The guy who wanted the meat was thrilled to have it. IGS and I finished cutting in trails and the owner cleaned up the small stuff with a bush hog. It was a really good weekend.

I posted some shorts on YT of me shooting the same turkey load from 3 completely different shotguns. Thought you guys would get a kick out of watching me burn $50 in ammo on 3 shots.

Let me know which of the three looked the worst.

Three birds fall stone dead from the sky. These were passing shots at ~40 yards. The first as they approached, the second at 90 degrees and the third as it flew away.

Unfortunately IGS wasn't able to hear the geese coming towards him because the damn he was hiding behind was blocking the sound. The only thing he heard was them taking off and then my shots.

This was my recipe. Benelli SBE3 with 28" barrel and Carlson's Federal Black Cloud Long Range (FULL) choke. Load was 3" Federal Black Cloud TSS BB/7. I've been shooting this combination with great success on waterfowl.

Now this isn't a pattern test and I'm well aware of that. It is however, real world experience that TSS and a well patterning shotgun make for a deadly combination in the hands of the right shooter. I will not speculate if this shot was possible steel, bismuth or some other lead substitute.

Just to finish the story. The guy who wanted the meat was thrilled to have it. IGS and I finished cutting in trails and the owner cleaned up the small stuff with a bush hog. It was a really good weekend.
That was certainly a morning worth getting up Early for —

@BeeMaa was the browning the worst? That is some stout recoil on those shotguns! How would you compare it to the .416?

Nice hunting btw. 3 for 3. If you quit now, you can hold 100% accuracy for 2024!

@BeeMaa was the browning the worst? That is some stout recoil on those shotguns! How would you compare it to the .416?

Nice hunting btw. 3 for 3. If you quit now, you can hold 100% accuracy for 2024!
Browning Cynergy was the worst by a good bit. It doesn’t look as bad as the Benelli and Beretta but it is.

Compared to a 416RM, I’ll take the RM every time. The Cynergy was brutal.

The Beretta was the easiest followed closely by the Benelli, not much difference other than the feel of the action. The inertia drive isn’t as smooth as the gas.

Remington made the HD shells for several years then stopped. They were very impressive. We would kill specklebellys out to 60 yds with 12 gauge 2 3/4 6 shot.

Remington made the HD shells for several years then stopped. They were very impressive. We would kill specklebellys out to 60 yds with 12 gauge 2 3/4 6 shot.
2 3/4” shells with #6 shot at 60 yards? Was this before the ban on lead?

EDIT - Disregard, I found them. They are a tungsten blend at 11.6 g/cc. Same density as lead but not quite 18 g/cc that TSS is. BTW - MidwayUSA has them on sale for $40/10 shells.

Last edited:

Hevi Shot makes the Hevi-Xll rounds now advertised as 12g/cc. I would like to try a box of 5's or 6's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.