Traveling through Eithopia

Spooksar

AH elite
Joined
Jun 3, 2013
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
1,590
Location
Beaverlodge Alberta
Media
25
Hunting reports
Africa
6
USA/Canada
4
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
So in April I’m going back to Namibi. My problem is I have 600,000 Aeroplan point for Star Allianc I would like to use. I would normally go Calgary to Frankfurt to Windheok.this is my preferred flight but can’t get a flight with points. My other option is Calgary to Frankfurt to Ababa Addis to Windheok. My first question is what do I need to do to fly through Ababa Addis. My second question is Frankfurt requiring a permit to transit through, if you don’t touch your baggag. Thanks in advance
 
I dont know anything about Germany but you definitely have to have your rifle inspected in Ethiopia. You need to print out the required forms, and a representative will walk you to the lower floor where they check your serial numbers.

I did it 4 times already and it isn't a problem at all and the people were very nice and polite with me
 
Ethiopia- Super nice people, easy process, just takes time. Make sure you have 1.5 hours layover and take 4 copies of Ethiopian gun declaration and country of origin proving your gun ownership.
 
There's another thread on Addis Ababa airport with a lot of good information.
 
LAst time I went through Germany was 2019. Needed a permit then that I think cost $30.00 on line. No one asked for it.
 
Been some time since I went thru Germany so no current details. I flew Toronto to Joberg last summer on Ethiopian, transit thru Ababa Addis, as above a good thread with many of your questions answered already. You must complete paperwork prior and have guns inspected when you arrive, super easy, real nice people, and OK airport. I will fly this route on next trip, also no fees for guns if you follow their rules/requirements.

Best way to Africa from Canada in my opinion.

MB
 
Ababa Addis? Eithopia? Namibi? bagagg?? Allianc? Windheok??

Too funny!!
 
Been some time since I went thru Germany so no current details. I flew Toronto to Joberg last summer on Ethiopian, transit thru Ababa Addis, as above a good thread with many of your questions answered already. You must complete paperwork prior and have guns inspected when you arrive, super easy, real nice people, and OK airport. I will fly this route on next trip, also no fees for guns if you follow their rules/requirements.

Best way to Africa from Canada in my opinion.

MB
How is Toronto for coming back with rifles. What kind of timeline do I need between flights. This would be better then going through Frankfurt. Thanks
 
How is Toronto for coming back with rifles. What kind of timeline do I need between flights. This would be better then going through Frankfurt. Thanks
I like Toronto, never had any issues, It's a Canadian version of Joberg and Ababa Addis for gun travel but, organized, informed and CBS agents speak English and know process. I strongly recommend completing the Canadian export paperwork way ahead of trip, have all signed paperwork ready to present when you leave, when you return a CBS agent must sign exit forms confirming all tracked items returned, (guns, scopes, magazines) this is done at special baggage counter upon return and retrieving guns. You send to Ottawa to finalize gun paperwork within 30 days of return. I had 1.5 hrs from arrival in TO till board for Van. I was during Covid BS, Pearson ranked as worst airport and Gov mandated that Pearson was one of the 4 airports for inbound travel. Its better now Covid BS rules are over, I think you can clear guns in and out at any international Canadian airport with baggage/guns checked straight thru, I would still stay with 1.5 hr min connection times for peace of mind.

Whole process is very easy, and on Cnd Gov website for review. If you research here or ask I can provide address for Ott contact, person is amazing help.

MB
 
I like Toronto, never had any issues, It's a Canadian version of Joberg and Ababa Addis for gun travel but, organized, informed and CBS agents speak English and know process. I strongly recommend completing the Canadian export paperwork way ahead of trip, have all signed paperwork ready to present when you leave, when you return a CBS agent must sign exit forms confirming all tracked items returned, (guns, scopes, magazines) this is done at special baggage counter upon return and retrieving guns. You send to Ottawa to finalize gun paperwork within 30 days of return. I had 1.5 hrs from arrival in TO till board for Van. I was during Covid BS, Pearson ranked as worst airport and Gov mandated that Pearson was one of the 4 airports for inbound travel. Its better now Covid BS rules are over, I think you can clear guns in and out at any international Canadian airport with baggage/guns checked straight thru, I would still stay with 1.5 hr min connection times for peace of mind.

Whole process is very easy, and on Cnd Gov website for review. If you research here or ask I can provide address for Ott contact, person is amazing help.

MB
I’ve done Calgary about 15 times and it was easy, just was wondering about Toronto, it sounds about the same, thanks very much for the information. As far as the paperwork for export I always do it, I’ve had to tell customs people in Calgary they had to sign it, some never knew about it.
 
My wife and I will be traveling through Frankfurt and all my research says we have to have a permit.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,438
Messages
1,576,269
Members
170,537
Latest member
ShaunteMad
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top