Transiting through Ethiopia to RSA Permits needed to transport rifles?

I have hunted my whole life and Yes the overall trip was top of the notch. The food every thing, great.

I was held up at the last minute on the way back at Ethiopian Air as well. We were boarding the plane and they pulled me out. I was told the bags would all check all the way to Toronto as they even signed there own declaration form.

The one thing I learned a long time ago and especially on this trip is this...When they ask you for something, DO NOT SAY YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

Pull out what forms you have and make sure it makes sense with what they are asking for and they just take it.
On the way back the guy said We need to see your permit for the ammo. I quickly pulled out the Namibian Police paperwork that showed how much ammo I was transporting. The guys said, Oh yes, Namibian Police report. Good Good. Form 4457 and a copy of my passport. I had extra copies of all and just handed them to them.

Yes, here it is. Say, that and pull out what you have. They smile and take it. If your passport number matches up and serial numbers match up to your papers you most likely are going to be good to go.

Honestly and maybe I am a glutton for punishment but I would fly with them again. I think the 3 hour layover solves a lot of problems.

The 3 hours layover would have been perfect. BUT, we lost 1/3 of that due to the unplanned mechanical delay. If I would have had a 4 hour layover then I would have been okay.

An unplanned delay wreaks your plans real quick and this is not the first time I have had that happen.

@Ed Reed you are spot on, I just carry a folder with everything. I showed the guy my Zimbabwe permit, and he asked where my US permit was, I told him I don't have one, we have the Constitution. He gave me a blank stare and my witty moment was wasted.

I made numerous phone calls to Air Canada and Ethiopian Air and Canada Border Services way before leaving out. What I was told before hand ends up changing once on the way.

The biggest advice I can give if you just have to take your rifle, which was me, Take all your paperwork and half a dozen copies of all. Be super nice to every body that hassles you no matter how tired you are. Yes here it is, Please and thank you goes a long way. They just need to know you are not a smuggler and the stuff you are transporting is yours.

@Ed Reed you are spot on, I just carry a folder with everything. I showed the guy my Zimbabwe permit, and he asked where my US permit was, I told him I don't have one, we have the Constitution. He gave me a blank stare and my witty moment was wasted.

Yes, on one of my first phone calls I said that and was told real quick, You cannot take your rifles, DO NOT TRY to bring them. We will not let you thru. My next call was , Yes I have that. You will be fine then was the answer. The question was. Do you have a permit from the US for your rifle?

@LivingTheDream What was your route to Zimbabwe? Did you fly from Addis Abebe to Lusaka (stop there) and continue to Harare? If yes, where there any issues in Lusaka?

My route was Indianapolis to Toronto, Toronto to Addis Ababa, then Addis Ababa to Windhoek

We did not go to Zimbabwe. Our final destination was Windhoek. Our real issue was Ethiopian Air. I can't recommend them for handling your firearms properly. Everything was fine besides they did not handle the firearms case like they should have on the way out.

Canada Border Services (CBSA) just needed to see the case and open it. Takes them less than 5 minutes to check what they need. They do not mess around. Ethiopian Air knew they were supposed to take the rifle case to them. We never figured out for sure what they did.

The CBSA officer that helped get us on the plane was a life saver.

With that said let me back up a little. We got a lot of run around about the case and stood at two different places with different people from Ethiopian air and we were walked all over the place. All this was doing was burning up our layover. I finally had enough of the Ethiopian Air agent but did keep my cool. He told me when we had about 30 minutes or so to make the flight that we were not going to make it as they could not locate the case. I told him several times I want to speak to your boss or whoever is the main person in charge of checking the rifle case and he kept saying that would not help. We do not want to miss this flight I told him and put some pressure on him to please send me to someone else. He finally directed me to the place where CBSA was checking items.

An officer took me aside and I explained very quickly the situation. I even told the officer that I would go ahead and leave the rifle case with them and pick it up on the way back or pay to have it shipped back home if I could just board the plane and make the trip. He said that was not possible, they had no way to store the case and bag with the ammo and that I had to wait and I had no choice as they took my boarding pass as well. He said I had done nothing wrong and Ethiopian Air knew they should first take the case to them to be checked. He said they had problems with them all the time and the whole time I was stuck dealing with Ethiopian Air they blame CBSA for being too difficult to work with. The officer said they will come up with the rifle case if they have to empty the entire belly of the plane to find it. They will not take off with out us seeing the case, if they already put it on the plane then they made a mistake. Exact words. Guess what. The rifle case and suitcase with the ammo showed up very quickly then.

The Ethiopian agent with walkie talkie in hand and cell phone in the other bent over backwards at this point and lead us full speed past every line and check point right to the plane and we made it. The guys with Ethiopian signed my declaration form standing at the door of the plane and took pictures with their cell phone of my form 4457 and my passport. They were apologizing and very friendly and wished us a good flight. When we got on board they closed up the doors and off we went. God was watching out for us in the end. That plane was very full and I am sure the flights after that were as well.

Last edited:
I flew Dulles - Abbis Ababa - Harare. Depending on the day, it will fly Abbis Ababa - Harare - Lusaka or Lusaka - Harare. It is basically one of those deals where you wouldnt even get off the plane if you were to stop over. I have the direct Harare to Abbis Ababa both times.

@Ed Reed very similar as I was told the plane would not leave without me or my rifle. Apparently they didn't want either one of us around.

I flew Dulles - Abbis Ababa - Harare. Depending on the day, it will fly Abbis Ababa - Harare - Lusaka or Lusaka - Harare. It is basically one of those deals where you wouldnt even get off the plane if you were to stop over. I have the direct Harare to Abbis Ababa both times.

@Ed Reed very similar as I was told the plane would not leave without me or my rifle. Apparently they didn't want either one of us around.

LOL Yep, I think you are right.

Nosler slugs and brass.jpg

The loads I put together worked well with good bullet retention. These were all just under the skin on the opposite shoulder of the big animals. The other animals were all pass thru shots. Nosler 180 grain Accubond in Nosler brass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you