Thoughts on "entry level" .375 H&H

I see you chose the Winchester, they are handsome guns with great actions. For anyone else in the same position, I bought a CZ 550 magnum baseline model as grizzly backup (i am in grizzly country as soon as i leave the house) after being unimpressed on a number of occasions by my .45-70 performance on the largest animals. I have customized the thing to suit over the years and am now supremely happy with it. I think if you are willing to put some money into it this rifle (or the BRNO) is an excellent choice. What i've done to mine is shorten to 23" and recrown the barrel, rework the stock to the proportions of the vintage Jeffery's and Rigby's to enhance both handling and aesthetics (it did both); address action where feeding was being negatively affected; take off the rear safari sights (polished buffalo horn to fill notch) in favor of a Skinner peep sight; have a gunsmith replace the original bolt with a proper Mauser magnum bolt (some merely straighten the bolt handle and fill the hole) for much better ease of access; remove and recontour the extractor claw/tang to be more parallel to the bolt as opposed to slightly bowed-in. I have not replaced the safety, though it has been an issue in fast cycling occasionally coming on-safe. The longer Mauser bolt has helped with this as has committing a technique to muscle memory in palming the bolt where the ball of my thumb automatically bumps the safe on the forward thrust "just in case." The recontouring of the extractor tang solved the occasional binding issue in one easy fix. Mine came with crossbolts but i have indeed seen those that have not, but also seen discussion where some opined that in a .375 H&H you may not be up against the same stock issues as with larger calibres. I haven't bedded it, it has been very accurate since new, but i may some day in a bid to potentially extend stock life. Anyways, i think this rifle is now on par with the best premium guns (and looks like a vintage example-of) still at a fraction the cost. It is a supremely confidence inducing arm that covers many, many miles annually in good weather and bad and has been dropped and fallen on to no ill effect.
 
Congrats on your new Winchester. I recently picked up a current production Safari Express in 375 HH. I couldn’t be happier with mine. Sights are dead on at 50-100 yards.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6135.jpeg
    IMG_6135.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6162.jpeg
    IMG_6162.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 95

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,572,969
Members
169,663
Latest member
tn88work
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top