The normal first timer questions

Hello and welcome!
 
My buddy had a little too much to drink at a Rocky Mountain elk foundation banquet and won the auction for a 10 day South African plains game hunt for 2. He asked me to go with him and I couldn’t say no
Between our schedules and the hunting guide the only date we could do was in the middle of November.
I’ve been researching this forum for weeks trying to see what I’ve gotten myself into it seems like November is going to be hot. Dumb question but is it ok to hunt in shorts and some hiking shoes? Or should I stick with pants?
The package includes blue wildebeest, impala and blesbuck. I’m planning on taking a .308 with Barnes 168 grain ttsx bt or nosler trophy grade accubond 165 grain. Are both of these rounds sufficient?
Is global rescue or some other type of travel insurance a good idea or is South Africa a pretty safe area?
I’ve never been on a guided hunting so I am really jumping into the deep end with this one. This forum has helped answer some of my questions but I’m sure I’ll have more.
Yes shorts will be fine but you need ankle gaiters such as the ones Boyt sells. You rifle and bullet will be fine just put in the time shooting off of sticks. It is best if you can range and dial for distance but this will depend on where you hunt. IMO in RSA insurance is optional.
Read all you can here in the safari planning section as well as my YouTube videos on safari planning. They will answer most of your questions.
IMO On a donated hunt it is best to tell the outfitter ahead of time that you want to add animals. These hunts can be quite variable in their quality.
Have a great safari!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,880
Members
169,460
Latest member
TorstenCha
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top