The Long Road To Africa

Another option is vacuum bags for clothing. Can get them at Harbor Freight, Walmart, etc.. They can reduce the volume of soft clothing down to about half.

Thank you so much for your service! You are getting very well prepared! A big plus one for lip balm! I watched 2 men suffer for days with chapped lips in South Africa in 2009. Enjoy your adventure!

Another option is vacuum bags for clothing. Can get them at Harbor Freight, Walmart, etc.. They can reduce the volume of soft clothing down to about half.
I was thinking about that myself but how to you vacuum them back down for return trip?

I was thinking about that myself but how to you vacuum them back down for return trip?
Check first with your outfitter to see if a vacuum cleaner will be available.

Option 2. Don't go Africa haute couture and just leave your clothes with the outfitter, trackers, their families, etc. Have left many pairs of camo pants, camo shirts, socks and watch caps.

Option 2. Don't go Africa haute couture and just leave your clothes with the outfitter, trackers, their families, etc. Have left many pairs of camo pants, camo shirts, socks and watch caps.
That would be an interesting flight back!

I always have a large ziplock bag with to put my shoes/boots in over night at the camping area. No funny surprises the next morning like a scorpion in your shoe. You can always punch a couple of small holes in the bag with a fork so that the shoes/boots can breathe

This is really smart.

I live in the Chihuhuan desert, and I shake out my shoes every morning no matter the season.

We have a lot of scorpions. They have a wasp type sting, it isn't deadly but it is painful enough that I don't want to experience it on a regular basis.

I might go to Wisconsin or catch Russell at a show to try to get fitted. I know they are feast or famine on how well their boots fit, those that get a good pair love them.

Nope. Those are all crap. Buy Eagle Creek Compression bags. They are durable and meant for the rigors of travel. Usually available at Dillards and online.

Eagle Creek compression bags folks! Don’t yall watch my packing videos?

Hadn't seen those bags. The HFs have worked for me, then again I'm a COB and wear $5 Walmart camo pants to hunt Africa.
e-big-grin.gif

Understood! The eagle creek bags are not cheap but last many trips.
Good units when a vacuum cleaner isn't available. They look somewhat heavier duty.

Good units when a vacuum cleaner isn't available. They look somewhat heavier duty.
They are reinforced heavy plastic bags. I found them some years ago in a luggage store. I have not looked back. I use all kinds of zip locks when traveling.

I just listen to you. Too much short shorts action. At least (or I am hoping) no Nair was involved prior to the filming.

I just listen to you. Too much short shorts action. At least (or I am hoping) no Nair was involved prior to the filming.
Ha ha. I am portraying real African style!

Ha ha. I am portraying real African style!
The guy I hunted with in Namibia had zero hair on his legs, and I didn't see many male Afrikaaners that did.

Guy was about 6'8 and I am 5'11, I wanted to ask him but didn't want to deal with the wrath if he got offended.

Question regarding ammo: I know I am allotted 11 lbs max, including the case. I have 10 rounds of 450/400 solids, 20 rounds of 450/400 softs, and 60 rounds of .275 Rigby. Given the game I am after, is that appropriate? Should I add more solids and leave a box of .275 behind?

Question regarding ammo: I know I am allotted 11 lbs max, including the case. I have 10 rounds of 450/400 solids, 20 rounds of 450/400 softs, and 60 rounds of .275 Rigby. Given the game I am after, is that appropriate? Should I add more solids and leave a box of .275 behind?
I'll throw in my two cents. Whatever rifle you are mainly going to use, give that ammo priority.
Edit: Unless you're a bad shot, or get in to an impromptu cull operation, you'd be hard pressed to go through sixty rounds of .275.

I'll throw in my two cents. Whatever rifle you are mainly going to use, give that ammo priority.
Edit: Unless you're a bad shot, or get in to an impromptu cull operation, you'd be hard pressed to go through sixty rounds of .275.
I thought 60 rounds is a bit excessive as well-until other people told me horror stories of having to shoot an impala 5 times. I hope I don't get that nervous, but I haven't been so I am not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonteDacey

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.