The cost of shipping trophies?

WARTY09

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I just recently hunted my first safari with Tallgrass Safaris in south Africa. I had a wonderful time, with a great safari company. Now that all the fun is over and its time to pay up what happens now? Iam talking about the cost of shipping your trophies back home. What should I expect? How much does it cost to get my animals back to the states? I harvested seven animals all plains game. If anyone has shipped already this year or has any insight into this topic it would be a big help!
WARTY09:thumb:

I guess I have some insight to your dilema. It all depends on if you had the trophies dipped and packed or the taxidermy done there? It depends where you live in the U.S. .... I say this because there are costs involved in Air and Ocean shipping. There are U.S. customs clearence procedures when the animal arrive here in the U.S. The road shipping once it arrives in the U.S.

I had 12 mounted animals mounted and delivered to my house in Wisconsin from Windhoek, Namibia in less than 90 days once the trophies where boxed and ready to ship. The delivery cost $2350. $1350 was for the ocean cargo company,$500 to get it through customs and the rest was paper fees and Roadway shipping from New York to Wisconsin. If you are wondering how much more it would have cost to fly about $800 to $1000 more.

There are a lot of costs involved after the hunt has ended:eek:. And there are no right or wrong answers. I sure hope you have a good taxidermist picked out. The one thing I would recommend to anyone is make sure you don't get jabbed for the crating of the animals. I have seen some crazy prices for a few plastic bags, some stuffing and some cardboard or wood. Crating of animals to the U.S. is one of the biggest rip-offs I have ever seen, plus the documentation and paperwork.

Thanks

It seems that we just have to pay to play. Thanks again

...Warty I got my trophies back the end of march, i had 7 shoulder mounts in 1 crate. I believe it was $1125 from Johannesburg to Chicago by plane. Then for the permits & trucking to My home in Wis. it was $425. My trophies took nearly 2 years to arrive after my hunt!!

I just recently hunted my first safari with Tallgrass Safaris in south Africa. I had a wonderful time, with a great safari company. Now that all the fun is over and its time to pay up what happens now? Iam talking about the cost of shipping your trophies back home. What should I expect? How much does it cost to get my animals back to the states? I harvested seven animals all plains game. If anyone has shipped already this year or has any insight into this topic it would be a big help!
WARTY09:thumb:

Hello Warty!
Your charges will depend on the size (dimensions) of the crate they are packed in, or the actual weight, whichever is greater. Ocean freight is cheaper than airfreight, but takes considerably longer to arrive...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you