The 404 Jeffery plains game hunting rifle?

ChrisG, sorry I misread your question totally.:LOL::LOL: It is as Deon (DWB) says ...if I want to hunt a dangerous game animal as a South African citizen I probably can do it but an owner of a dangerous game farm in South Africa will never allow me to do it on my own...he will always insist on a PH handling the hunt done on his farm. Even when hunting plains game, there will be a guide walking with you..it really is out of the ordinary if you are allowed to hunt on your own.(y)

As a RSA Resident you need not be guided by a PH.

Even though it is perfectly legal, it is somewhat more advisable to have someone experienced with you.

I was fortunate enough to hunt 2 buffaloes without anyone but a tracker. But needed some backup with the follow up :)
That does sound a little sketchy going in after a buff without someone else there. Thanks for the info!

Chris G, remember Deon owns a 404 Jeffery ...with a 404 Jeffery you are quite safe when going after a buffalo yourself...:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:(y)(y)

Chris G, remember Deon owns a 404 Jeffery ...with a 404 Jeffery you are quite safe when going after a buffalo yourself...:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:(y)(y)
I have heard that Buff have a very keen ability to visually measure a rifle bore during a charge... if the buffalo decides it is anywhere near .423" they turn tail and run... modern buffs are getting more skilled at this... They're not fooled by a .411 or a .416 bore anymore. They just keep coming when they see those. :ROFLMAO:

Oh how I want a Jeffrey.:(

I have heard that Buff have a very keen ability to visually measure a rifle bore during a charge... if the buffalo decides it is anywhere near .423" they turn tail and run... modern buffs are getting more skilled at this... They're not fooled by a .411 or a .416 bore anymore. They just keep coming when they see those. :ROFLMAO:

Oh how I want a Jeffrey.:(

ChrisG, yes you are quite correct gentleman, especially if the buff with his keen ability to notice it will be a 450 gn Rhino bullet will be exited the muzzle at 2150 f/s with accurate bullet placement skills from the owner of the 404 Jeffery ...like you said they just turn and run and keep running....:A Banana:

Chris G, is the 404 Jeffery a scarce caliber rifle in NY ?

Chris G, is the 404 Jeffery a scarce caliber rifle in NY ?
It is. I would have to order one specifically from my local dealer. You rarely run into anything larger than .30 caliber and when you do, it is usually seen as some "Exotic Elephant Gun" by people who have never fired anything bigger than a .270 Winchester. I really love the Jeff but I just bought a .416 Ruger in a Ruger M77 African so I have a hard time justifying a .404 as they are, ballistically anyway, almost identical. plus the .416 has a larger assortment of bullets to choose from in America I think. I had considered selling the .416 to swap out for a .404 but that involves not just selling the rifle, but the 200 pieces of brass and 400 bullets I have accrued for it, buying new reloading dies, brass, powder, bullets, etc. It's a lot of stuff to clear out and really, other than nostalgia, I have no other practical reason for doing it. I am one of those guys who likes his rifles to have a specific niche. I would rather have 4 rifles with really nice scopes and gear and thousands of rounds to be able to use to practice, than 20 rifles with 100 rounds each. I have 4 rifles that are not all pretty but they all get used! I know... There is probably something wrong with meo_O.

ChrisG, nothing wrong with your .416 Ruger, yes, it will be nice to have a 404 Jeffery ( every one wants one) but the 416 Ruger is a devastating caliber on it`s own...(y)(y)
I concur, I have six rifles and use them all regularly...the 404 Jeffery naturally is the one I always like to reload for and shoot it on club practice days ..or hunt with it..I always try to get hold of rifles older than fifty two years...since an old wise man said you need to use rifles older than yourself to appreciate what they went through during their time in use...all my rifles are older than me....:LOL::LOL:(y)(y)

Last edited:
ChrisG, nothing wrong with your .416 Ruger, yes, it will be nice to have a 404 Jeffery ( every one wants one) but the 416 Ruger is a devastating caliber on it`s own...(y)(y)
You can do a conversion from the Ruger .416 to a 404 Jeffery if you can get a competent gunsmith as well???
I think in that case, it would probably just be cheaper to sell the Ruger and its accoutrements and buy a CZ 550 in .404 Jeffery. One of these days I might make the leap.

(y)(y)
What is very interesting these days is the phenomenon where hunters show extreme interest to purchase these big bore rifles and use them as their everything hunting rifle...this I think was the most important reason why and old caliber like the 404 Jeffery has risen from obscurity ...I myself was extremely surprised how versatile the 404 Jeffery was on the different plains game I hunted this season...next hunting season I really am going full out to hunt a range of plains game using 200gn core bonded bullets to see if the 404 Jeff will stabilize light bullets and I want to see how far out I can go and still get excellent groupings...(y)(y)(y)

I like the idea of hunting all with one rifle I have more than one rifle but I get in a grove at times I have hunted a complete season with a .54 caliber flintlock from small game to black bear then I have hunted ground hogs with a 375 Ruger now I'm building a 404 Jeffery that will probably only see white tail deer and bear and probably ground hogs.
I do get the overkill speech but I have never seen a animal to dead to eat.
Unless it was not dead fast enough and not found until much later.
I don't have a 404 yet but when it's done I'm sure it will hunt every thing I do.
Shawn

Great Shawn, you are busy doing a splendid 404 Jeffery build, what a privilege. (y)(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg