Taxidermy work is done.....now what?

Why does USDA hold them? I have always picked up my stuff within a day of getting to the air cargo warehouse.

That was my question to fauna and flora? They sit in Atl for a week. I was thinking maybe this was just how long they had to wait to get room on a flight to NYC? So I called f & f and he told me usda had them for the week. At this point I am just waiting at home patienty. No point in getting all worked up. Although I have thought about Making the 12 hr drive to ATL! :D I can wait. I am hoping in 2 weeks they will be waiting for me at my front door.....

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!!! Just got the phone call that my trophies are at the local YRC depot. I can go pick them up tomorrow!!! Can't wait!!

Don't speed on the way there, it only adds to the cost!

Sounds great, cant wait for pics!

Pics as well as a total cost wright up will follow in the next few days.

ok, soo ive been reading up on all this and think I may have most of it figured out on clearing my own trophies!!

so I have filled out the USFW 3177 form.. ha. that's all...

my mounts are crated but not shipped yet!!

will I need to clean through US customs also??

my port of entry will be Los Angeles and im not sure yet if ill be going sea or air.

im still waiting on more quotes as my first quote of $7800.00 by air with SBS logistics out of RSA is quite ridiculous. ha!

any additional help would be great guys!!

Deleted member 15212 you are much braver than I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that $7800, seems a little high unless you were collecting animals like TR for the museum! If you clear your own its fairly simple if all goes well. You will need to locate the shipment first at the receiver, freight house. Then they give you paper work to give to FWS and customs both. Hopefully they are near each other, mine were about a mile apart, but at least I didn't have to walk it. Once those two are satisfied that all is in order "Alles in ordnung!", they stamp all the papers, you go back to the freight house and they give you your stuff. If all goes well. The customs guys are usually great, no big deal, sign here please and on your way. USFWS, well it can get a little complicated if for some reason they think you may have left something out of the conversation and there will be one. If there are two agents, they like to play good cop bad cop and try to trip you up to see if something doesn't jibe. If you did everything by the book, there should be no problems.

What are you shipping to get a quote like that? Damn.

Exactly! That is a lot of money for shipping!!!

well.. hahhaha... still have full mount lioness, klipspringer, vervet monkey and genet cat over there from a few years ago. it took the taxidermist quite a long time to get those done so instead of shipping those alone as my next trip was coming fast, I decided to wait for the next trips mounts to be done and ship all together...

in all:

full mounts-male and female lion, klipspringer, steenbok, springbok, blue duiker, cape grysbok, genet cat, vervet monkey.
shoulder mount- mountain reedbuck, sable pedestal, warthog skull, lion skulls, monkey skull...
I think that's it...

turns out sea freight will run me $5k (which I can bare a bit more than $7800), and take 38 days!!!!! geeze! haha. the main problem was the male lion was too high to fit into standard airline cargo.. so they had to use a cargo liner, cargolux... two big crates!!!

thanks for the guidance sestoppelman! so ill make sure my story is the same to both guys! hahaha

"did I say cheetah... I meant lion..."

lion_zpsk91kp5xt.jpg

he stands just over six feet tall..

Attachments

• lion_zpsk91kp5xt.jpg
    lion_zpsk91kp5xt.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 154
Go ocean freight!

............... so they had to use a cargo liner, cargolux... two big crates!!!

Cargolux moves more freight than anyone. Oversize container, hmmm.

At least you are shipping something more than a couple of shoulder mounts.

oversized for sure.. but looks like ill be going sea freight! ha!

see the first crate, they wanted $2500 to ship...

this this time around, with three times the animals at only twice the cost, even though its sea freight, I feel better about paying.

Not for anything folks but I'd rather pay the professionals like SSI or Coppersmith, this kind of abuse is unacceptable.

Quick update. Wire transfer to Moredou taxidermy is done. I will be using safari cargo systems for the shipper. Brick, the guy who responded to my email from them was Andrew. He has been a great help. I have been emailing back and forth with him a lot. Responds very quickly! They recomended Fauna & Flora as the clearing agent. I will probably use them but haven't decided yet. Still doing research on them.

Hopefully I will have my tropies soon!! .....
Used them for my New Zealand trophies , no problems whatsoever.

I wired money to SSI today.

I do a lot of stuff myself, but this was one area where I was willing to let the pros handle.

I tell myself that SSI worked for free, because between likely higher freight cost and extra days sitting in the warehouse while I get my paperwork correct, they probably saved me their flat fee.

More power to you though...you are more intrepid than I!

Tim

Hi RickB....
So sorry you are having issues....I guess now is a good time to remind everyone on the forum that we have 7 offices: NY, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, LA and San Francisco.
We control the destination port based on what is closest to the final delivery location and we work very closely with the shippers on your behalf.
From the little I gathered from your writing, your trophies shipped to Atlanta which can then take forever to get to NY because once it lands, the trophies are then 'trucked' to NY for clearance by USFWL and delivery to you.
It's too late for us to help you but know that it didn't have to be this way and you could have been saved alot of stress, time and money.
Also for the record, hunted trophies are banned from being transported via container sea freight.
Lastly, I hope others will take advantage of checking with us before undertaking any decisions regarding exports or imports because this is what we do 24/7 and worldwide.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Best,
Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg