Taking the Nitro Plunge....

theelectricfox

Reaction score
I'm finally ready to purchase my double. I'm thinking I am going to go with B.Searcy instead of Chaupis(they don't offer .500NE and I'm kinda set on that caliber).

Now here is the "kicker" literally. I shoot large bore handguns, .460 mag, .500 Mag with stout loads. I regularly shoot my 10 gauge double with 3 &1/2 inch magnum shells for high geese. The largest rifle caliber I have ever fired though, is 5.56mm. I do shoot competitive shotgun, so it's not uncommon for me to go through 1000 shells in 1 day. I've never been recoil sensitive....yet.

How much trouble am I getting myself in to for for stepping up to a nitro express caliber(.470NE or .500NE)? Is there any way to prepare me for what is coming...such as getting a bolt action rifle in medium caliber to practice with? And what is the recoil like? A large push or a harsh snap? I really want to set myself up with a solid double for a trip to Africa. I have talked with various fine gun shops that said using a Mercury Recoil reducer is a no-no with doubles, since it throws off the balance of the rifle.

I figure if Ernest Hemingway can lug around a .577 Nitro half drunk, it can't be that bad....or can it?

If you have any questions about handling the recoil I suggest that you fins someone with a DR in your area and ask to try them out. A 450 NE or a 470NE are about a dead even race with the same specs. The 500NE is a step up in power and recoil.
If you can't find anyone with a DR see about a 458 WM or a 458 Lott. They're similar to the 450 NE and the Lott about like a 500.
Searcy is a great choice for a new rifle! I have one in a 450 NE and it's one of the best shooting rifles I have. Then there's Searcy's no BS lifetime warranty that can't be sneezed at.

I've got some pictures of my Searcy shown in my photo area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danpowder

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you