Taking Rifles to SA

swashington

AH senior member
Reaction score
My fiance and I will be heading to SA next year. If we both take one rifle can we share a case or do we need to bring them in separate cases?

You can do whatever you like.
2-3-4 to a case no problem as long as it's an airline approved case.

Your good with one case, two 4457's one for each rifle. One in your name and the other in hers.

And I'd recommend a pre approved SAPs 520

I also believe you are good with one case but you can always Contact Henry atRiflepermits.com @riflepermits.com he is the man with answers

When it comes to the legalities of importing rifles and doing other things in a different country there are no dumb questions

So no limit on the number of guns - as long as in an airline approved case, and doesn't go over weight limit? Is weight limit 45lbs?

So no limit on the number of guns - as long as in an airline approved case, and doesn't go over weight limit? Is weight limit 45lbs?
23kgs is the maximum as far as I remember

I will share what I witnessed as I waited to clear my rifles behind 2 guys that shared the same case in 2022.
The hunters (not same last name) explained that they were "sharing" a case. CBP asked who owned the case. One of them said he did and then the agents wanted to know where the other guys case was. Something about they couldn't be shared and only the case owner is suppose to know or have the keys to open it.
CBP cleared them after a tongue lashing.

No idea who was right or wrong but the on duty CBP agents seemed to think they were in the right.

Put both guns on one 4457 under 1 name , to my knowledge they never check who actually owns the guns just make sure the serial numbers are correct. But the last time I took rifles was 2021 and things change.

Put both guns on one 4457 under 1 name , to my knowledge they never check who actually owns the guns just make sure the serial numbers are correct. But the last time I took rifles was 2021 and things change.
That would possibly work as long as they don't shoot the same cartridge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GordonBees

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.