Taking a skull in checked baggage

georgewatkinson

New member
Joined
Feb 3, 2024
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi there - I am hoping someone on here can please help:

I have been hunting in RSA and I am keen to take my cleaned and boiled Blesbok skull home as a trophy, however, I am on a budget and I don't want to pay for shipping. Do you know if I am allowed to put the skull in my checked luggage and take it home that way?

Thanks so much in advance!
 
Where do you live?

In Canada you are not allowed. As far as I know you can't do this is US either.
 
No that is not legal.
 
If you intend to bring it in the USA, no that is not legal unless you declare it. Depending on what species it is and where you obtained it, specifically (non CITES and what country) and the condition, e.g. no flesh, no hide, etc...you may be able to declare it and then enter with it.

If you have been hunting in RSA I would think you would have more than one animal, quite a few really. Therefore, dip and pack it and go the legal route is my advice.

Also, I have not commented on the process for exporting it from RSA or transiting through other countries on your way back. Those obviously both have laws to be aware of.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,415
Messages
1,575,590
Members
170,362
Latest member
TamaraOrla
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top