Suitable Actions For A 350 Rigby?

The35Whelen

AH senior member
Reaction score
I’d like to build a single shot .350 Rigby Magnum as a gift for myself for my upcoming military retirement. I just missed the chance to buy a Ruger No. 1 in .350 so I’m looking at those and other single shot action options. I have a Ruger No. 1 in 30-06 and a Browning B78 in .270 Win for possible donor actions. I’m also considering a Uberti Courtney Stalking Rifle in .303 British or a Luxus Model 11 in .270 Win as donor rifles.

1. Are these rifles acceptable donor options for the .350 Rigby?
  2. Are there concerns with any of them?
  3. Is a rebore or rebarrel all that‘s needed?
  4. Is there a better option I’m not thinking of?
(If you’re the lucky person who purchased the Ruger No. 1 in .350 Rigby from Cabelas Owatonna in Minnesota and would part with it please message me. Thank you!)

Last edited:
There are three .35 caliber Rigby cartridges: the .400/.350, the .350 No. 2 and the .35
Rigby Magnum. The first two are rimmed, the last is rimless. Which one are you referring to?
Rigby intended the rimmed cartridges for double rifles and single shots and the rimless one for a magnum size bolt action, but imported a special slant magazine bolt action specifically for the rimmed cartridges.

Last edited:
This is a photo of a slant box, step receiver ring Rigby action designed for rimmed cartridges:
Rigby  Magnum Action.jpg

I’d like to build a single shot .350 Rigby Magnum as a gift for myself for my upcoming military retirement. I just missed the chance to buy a Ruger No. 1 in .350 so I’m looking at those and other single shot action options. I have a Ruger No. 1 in 30-06 and a Browning B78 in .270 Win for possible donor actions. I’m also considering a Uberti Courtney Stalking Rifle in .303 British or a Luxus Model 11 in .270 Win as donor rifles.

(If you’re the lucky person who purchased the Ruger No. 1 in .350 Rigby from Cabelas Owatonna in Minnesota and would part with it please message me. Thank you!)

@35 Whelen
I personally would choose the ruger or Browning. You could always contact JES and ask them if they could rebore your barrel based on the barrel dimensions. Either rifle with a 26 or 28 inch barrel wound wring the best out of your cartridge and still only be as long as a bolt gun with a 22or24 inch barrel.
The standard 35 Whelen equals and surpasses the old 350 Rigby mag but hasn't got the cool factor.
Bob

There are three .35 caliber Rigby cartridges: the .400/.350, the .350 No. 2 and the .35
Rigby Magnum. The first two are rimmed, the last is rimless. Which one are you referring to?
Rigby intended the rimmed cartridges for double rifles and single shots and the rimless one for a magnum size bolt action, but imported a special slant magazine bolt action specifically for the rimmed cartridges.
Thanks for the info. I was planning on a .35 Rigby Magnum. I thought to start with a single shot, then do a bolt later so I had interchangeable ammo.

@35 Whelen
I personally would choose the ruger or Browning. You could always contact JES and ask them if they could rebore your barrel based on the barrel dimensions. Either rifle with a 26 or 28 inch barrel wound wring the best out of your cartridge and still only be as long as a bolt gun with a 22or24 inch barrel.
The standard 35 Whelen equals and surpasses the old 350 Rigby mag but hasn't got the cool factor.
Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll reach out to JES and see what my options are. I love my Whelens, but would still like to add some old school Africa coop to the gun safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amparo8634

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.