Snap caps...how important are they?

Back in the late 1980s I heard about a method devised by a local guy whereby he filled the primer pocket with Araldite, to create resistance for the firing pin. It has worked very nicely for me. When I started taking people for their firearm licences, I modified my dummy rounds to meet MSC requirements, by drilling two holes of minimum 3mm diameter in each cartridge case, i.e. through and through, then sanding off the burrs. That way they meet the instructional aid safety requirements and can also be identified though feel when you take them to your tent site or hut/lodge.

P.S. I use Araldite where necessary but prefer to use excess timber epoxy as it does not flow so much, hence I try to save my dummy-round manufacturing until I have to join something new or do a repair around the house!
 
Last edited:
I grew up on in the certain knowledge that dry firing a centre-fire rifle would ruin it virtually instantly, and I would likely burn for all eternity if I did that.

Lately I've heard that's hogwash (the dry firing part - the burning is still an open question apparently). I've read gun warranties and none have said dry firing voids or impacts the warranty.

Everyone has an opinion on this subject. There's a market for snap-caps.

But does anyone really know? Surely a manufacturer or gunsmith could say with certainty one way or the other.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,282
Messages
1,570,524
Members
168,897
Latest member
TammiHeck
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top