Snagged another older BSA Hunter/Royal rifle!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
This one is in .30-06, and the same vintage as my wonderful old 7x57. Both are true 98 Mauser by design.

This '06 appears to be nearly new despite its age, something over 50 years! Bore is like new, bolt face the same. Action is tight and sticky, headspace like my 7x57 is minimum spec. Not checking with gauges just how a new round chambers, just the slightest resistance on closing and when I marked a case with felt tip, it rubbed some off.
It had a peep sight mounted on the side but did not ship with the upper half and anyway it interferes with the Parker Hale rings it came with so that base is now off. Stock was cut for it so at some point I will need to fit a little pc of wood there, a bit unsightly.

Mag holds 4 with a longish box at 3.45", longer than most. It passed the feeding test. Have a vintage Redfield 3-9 that will fit just fine with the rings.

Hope to get it out on Thursday if weather allows, expecting some snow!
Couple pics.
IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

Nice rifle!

Very nice! Let us know how it shoots.

Great find!

I’ve always been a fan of BSA… they’re almost always priced really reasonably in the US when you find them, and I’ve never seen one that wasn’t a reliable shooter…

Very Handsome

Got this to the range today, no disappointments here.
Sighted in with PPU to get on paper using an older 3-9 Redfield, took about 6 rounds to get centered.

Set it aside for a few minutes then put 5 rounds of Federal Match 168's into just over an inch.

Then a handload that I call a duplicate of the FGMM load which consists of 54 gr of IMR4350 with the Sierra 168 MK bullet, and that gave me a four shot group of an inch as well.

I dont see any issues with this rifle at all.

Reading in Bolt Action Rifles today, that the standard rifle like this one, in long action, was only made in .30-06.
The Lightweight model with the fish gill slots at the muzzle was made in other calibers.
The one I have in 7x57 is made on the medium length action and the stock has a Schnable forend where this one is rounded and full and no goofy gills on either!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaBowen

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!