Sight in question for DR with RMR

lreynold1

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I just bought a Chapuis .450/400 3 inch, I love it. Getting ready to go on a Cape buffalo hunt with some plains game on the side. Now I'm going to use the irons for buff, but I had a Trijicon RMR mounted for longer shots, like 75-100 yards and wanted the RMR for more precision shooting. Here's my question, would you sight it in to just one barrel for really precise shooting or split the difference between the barrels?

Lreynold,

I expect your Chapuis will regulate both barrels very well.

They have a very good reputation.

Presumably, an RMR is some type of scope or holographic sight?

That being said, whatever an RMR is, sighting one barrel or both to it depends on whether or not your individual rifle regulates properly or not.

In other words, if it regulates well .. sight it for both barrels and if not, pick the most accurate barrel and use the "RMR" as though your rifle is a single shot, then sell it soon as you can. (decent doubles are available).

If it regulates properly, your PH might ask you why not just use your RMR sight for the buffalo as well.

The .450/.400 is one of the world's greatest big game cartridges and I applaud you for selecting it.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

It's a very small square window that illuminates with both fiber optics and tritium. Yes, the rifle regulates pretty well. Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

No worries, we will look forward to reading about how it works on your safari.

No worries, we will look forward to reading about how it works on your safari.
Shooting at 35 yards today, offhand, left barrel is 1 high and 1 right, right barrel is 1 right and 1/2 higher than the left. Regulates well with 400 gr solid. Will split the difference with the RMR, good call, thanks!

I just bought a Chapuis .450/400 3 inch, I love it. Getting ready to go on a Cape buffalo hunt with some plains game on the side. Now I'm going to use the irons for buff, but I had a Trijicon RMR mounted for longer shots, like 75-100 yards and wanted the RMR for more precision shooting. Here's my question, would you sight it in to just one barrel for really precise shooting or split the difference between the barrels?

try pm Jumbo on here, he has recently put an RMR (i think) on his 470VC and is currently in Zim on a buff hunt.
he may have some info for you on what he has done.

I would split the difference between the barrels and see if you are happy with the grouping. it should be ok up to 100yds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,