Scope recommendations for .458 Win Mag

Tdsmith517

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Joined
Jul 19, 2026
Messages
178
Reaction score
417
Location
Ny
Media
4
Hello all, I am currently putting together a .458 Wi Mag rifle for myself, and I am now considering the scope for it. I have grown up around Leupolds and I have probably 12-15 currently on different rifles. I have 40 year old M8’s and brand new vx5’s and 6’s. Plus a few of the now discontinued ultralights. I have used Ziess and Lieca binoculars so I am familiar with their quality also. Am I wrong to just grab another VX 6 1-6 firedot or should I look into a Swaro? That seems to be a favorite brand here for a Dangerous game rifle.
 
Given you are using a 458, I will guess you are doing a dangerous game hunt, if so, I'm a big fan of the Leupold Patrol, 1x6-24 with firedot. I think you'll still find them for 799.00.
 
I’m a leupold person. As @Andrew62 said
Leupold Patrol 1-6 fire dot non CDS is perfect. EuroOptics $799 Won’t find a better deal on this model.
That’s a smoking deal. I grabbed one, even if I go a different route I will stick it on something. All the features I want and none I don’t.
 
I have a Nikon Pro-Staff 2X7 on my #1 458. It has good eye relief and seems reasonably tough so far. Parallax is set a 75 yards and that seems to work well, though I have used it (not for game) up to 200 yards.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,571,757
Members
169,409
Latest member
HopeBelche
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top