Lifetime bronze benefactor
Platinum supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Please look at my two pictures please. Just got my Sabatti 500 NE DR. Can someone tell me two things please:
1. What kind of rail should I get so I can mount my Red Dot scope (notice 4 screws in scope rail)
2. The gun came without a front sight. Even though I am using a Red Dot I still want to have a front slide. Forgive blurry picture but you can see it is some type of slide in front sight…I am just clueless what to order

appreciate everyone’s help so very much. Would greatly appreciate telling me what and where to order please!!!

807059DF-5A58-4E73-A5A9-F213B35C294D.jpeg
AF3B2532-DD2E-429F-943C-A7D1A1C6F516.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sabatti used a weaver rail that attached to the top of the rib where those screw holes are for scope or dot mounts. You can see pictures of the rail in this thread:

Looks like the front sights used in a Ruger No. 1 or M77 might work as a replacement. New England Custom Guns sells them. If you take measurements of the slot that sight slides into and send them pics, they could probably tell you if the Ruger would work, or they might have a better suggestion.

Please look at my two pictures please. Just got my Sabatti 500 NE DR. Can someone tell me two things please:
1. What kind of rail should I get so I can mount my Red Dot scope (notice 4 screws in scope rail)
2. The gun came without a front sight. Even though I am using a Red Dot I still want to have a front slide. Forgive blurry picture but you can see it is some type of slide in front sight…I am just clueless what to order

appreciate everyone’s help so very much. Would greatly appreciate telling me what and where to order please!!!

Sabatti used a weaver rail that attached to the top of the rib where those screw holes are for scope or dot mounts. You can see pictures of the rail in this thread:

Looks like the front sights used in a Ruger No. 1 or M77 might work as a replacement. New England Custom Guns sells them. If you take measurements of the slot that sight slides into and send them pics, they could probably tell you if the Ruger would work, or they might have a better suggestion.
THANKS SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!

My problem is the only site I see that sells the Weaver rail you show is Optics and they no longer carry it. I cannot find this anywhere.

View attachment 477778View attachment 477779

The original scope mount for sabatti is a low quality aluminum rail. Looks hideous, makes the gun look dime-store quality. The good news is custom bases can be made to work with the existing screw holes. My highest recommendation for quality-meets-price would be to order "blank" bases from Talley manufacturing and their QD scope rings in whatever height and tube size is warranted. Milling the hole spacing in the scope mount blanks is straightforward and would be relatively low cost, <$200. All the other "proper" alternatives are going to run you into the $2000+ scenarios like EAW pivots, german claws, etc.

If it were me, I'd box that gun up and send it to Ken Owen in Moscow, TN if he would agree via phone to take on the gun's work. First, he's the top sabatti barrel mechanic in the world. He'll ensure you have good regulating loads and if that is impossible, he'll regulate the barrel wedge flawlessly. Second, he'll fit that front sight and may even have one on hand for you, saving you a bundle. Third, he can address the scope mounts for you.

Ken did the regulation work and worked up the regulation load. That paperwork came with the gun. Thanks!

That's A+ good news.

Just get some nice custom mounts and you'll be good. A call to Ken and he may have the correct front sight height/size you can install yourself. If not, he may know the precise height required and you can call NECG for something that can be filed to fit.

Problem solved!!! What would we do without JJ!!! He told me to just send him the barrel and he can fix both the front site and the rail. He said for me not to buy a mount since the red dot would sit too high. He did my 450-400 and it was well worth the money to get the mount insert instead. Thanks so much everyone for your help!!!

RB please can you keep us informed of how this progresses. A couple of my buddies want double rifles and can afford Sabatti, but need a bit of reassurance.

You bet Kevin. I found out today from my gunsmith the gun already had an 8 oz lead insert placed into the stock. The original weight of the gun was 9.5 pounds which is too light. Now it is 10.3 pounds. I wish it was more like 11 pounds but no extra room for any more weight. Once I get the barrel back from JJ with the red dot insert and front sight I will post new pictures and go shoot the gun for the first time. Ken Owen regulated the gun with IMR3031 at 80 grains shooting 570 grain bullets. I will absolutely let you know!

You bet Kevin. I found out today from my gunsmith the gun already had an 8 oz lead insert placed into the stock. The original weight of the gun was 9.5 pounds which is too light. Now it is 10.3 pounds. I wish it was more like 11 pounds but no extra room for any more weight. Once I get the barrel back from JJ with the red dot insert and front sight I will post new pictures and go shoot the gun for the first time. Ken Owen regulated the gun with IMR3031 at 80 grains shooting 570 grain bullets. I will absolutely let you know!

As is usually if not always the case with Ken, he steered you right. 3031 is a fast burning powder and it will duplicate the original cordite loads while giving you some of the mildest recoil for a given velocity. With a reflex sight on the gun you’ll be at 10.5lbs and the recoil of a full power 3031 load will be very manageable.

When Ken did my 470NE loads for 3031 my perceived recoil went down by what seemed like nearly half. Previously I’d have a horrible bruised shoulder and would wince after the 2nd shot. With 3031 its like shooting an old 458 or a zippy lightweight 375HH.

Thanks! Looking forward to shooting it

Thanks! Looking forward to shooting it
I wanted to provide an update per request on my Sabatti 500 NE. I had the bright stock and fore-end stripped and refinished with a nice oil finish. Forgive the shadows showing shine. JJ just got the barrel back to me with a new front site and a custom Trijicon site base. The really great news is I was able to take the gun from 9.5 pounds up to an even 11 pounds which should be just about right for this caliber. I was able to add both a reducer and some lead into the stock and still balances fine. I will be at my farm next weekend to shoot it for the first time.

IMG-0207.jpg
IMG-0208.jpg
IMG-0206.jpg
IMG-0203 (1).jpg
IMG-0205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to provide an update per request on my Sabatti 500 NE. I had the bright stock and fore-end stripped and refinished with a nice oil finish. Forgive the shadows showing shine. JJ just got the barrel back to me with a new front site and a custom Trijicon site base. The really great news is I was able to take the gun from 9.5 pounds up to an even 11 pounds which should be just about right for this caliber. I was able to add both a reducer and some lead into the stock and still balances fine. I will be at my farm next weekend to shoot it for the first time.
Wow, that has turned out really well. As a matter of interest what is the diameter of the fore sight bead? I find the one on my Heym a little small.

Thanks Kevin. Not sure what the diameter is or how to measure it

That does look great. Honestly, for as much bad talk that the older guns get, I'm still super impressed with how they look. How long ago did you send stuff off to JJ and how long did he take to work on it?

Two weeks there and back. Extremely fast

Finally was able to sneak down to the farm today to shoot my Sabatti 500 NE for first time. You will not believe this but I swear it is true…the 500 recoiled just a little harder than my 450-400 and that was a fabulous surprise. I easily fired 10 shots off the sticks. 5 at 25 and 5 at 50. Once I got my Trijicon sighted in the regulation was 3.5 inches at 50 yards. Not as good as my ;50-400 which was at 2 inches but easily close enough for elephant and Buffalo. The secret is in two parts: 1. Going with Ken Owens IMR3031 at 80 grains and 2. Taking the weight up from 9.5 to 11 pounds. Also and I wish I could give him credit for the idea, I ordered a 15 pound aerobic bar that is a little longer than a rifle. I am on my second week taking it with me on my power walks. I plan on doing this up to my hunt next year…then 11 pounds will seem like nothing (hopefully lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois